Scripps Research Used in Clinton Initiative

According to Scripps, Clinton said that this coalition — formed by the United States, Canada, Bangladesh, Ghana, Mexico, Sweden and the United Nations Environment Programme — is the first ongoing international effort with a high  level of participation, and is looking for solutions to stop the spread of short-lived pollutants.

“It will mobilize resources, assemble political support, help countries develop and implement a national action plan, raise public awareness and reach out to other countries, companies, NGOs and foundations,” Clinton said in a press release. 

In January, Dr. Veerabhadran Ramanathan — who is Director of the Center for Clouds, Chemistry and Climate at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography — and colleagues issued a UNEP report that identified 16 possible actions. These actions included replacing inefficient cook stoves, stopping the burning of agricultural waste and adopting emissions standards on vehicles.  

Incorporating these changes would be small steps toward the goal of limiting the rise in global temperature to two degrees, Ramanathan said. 

“This is a significant step towards fighting climate change that the world has been waiting for, for such a long time,” Dr. Ramanathan said.

According to Scripps, the UNEP report, along with the rest of Ramanathan’s work on climate change, is the foundation for this initiative. Ramanathan’s work on climate change dates back to 1975, when he identified chlorofluorocarbons (such as refrigerants and propellants) as significant factors in climate change.

“[The initiative] will also have a major impact in reducing air pollution and its negative impacts on health and the food security of developing nations,” Ramanathan said.

Clinton has said that she is optimistic about the prospects of the new campaign.

“The range of countries, organizations and industries gathered in this room today reflects the weight of scientific research showing that climate change is one of the most serious and complex problems facing our world,” Clinton said. “When we discover effective and affordable ways to reduce global warming, not by a little but by a lot, it is a call to action for all of us.”

$2515
    $5000