Student Satisfaction Survey to Bring Changes to Campus

Every year, Vice Chancellor of External and Business Affairs Steven Relyea’s metrics division invites approximately 25,000 students to take the Student Satisfaction Survey and provide feedback on various student business services. The feedback is later discussed and analyzed at a retreat by Relyea’s metrics division.
    “The responses [on the survey] are looked at and discussed carefully to see what needs to be changed,” Communications Manager for Business and Financial Services Barbara Field said.
    Specifically, they look at budget allocations, resources and what can be improved for specific business services. Changes have already been made based on the past years of the survey.
    Mail services, for example, no longer delivers junk mail to students living on campus. They also send email alerts when a package is received from the United States Postal Service. These changes were first implemented based on results of the survey.
    Additionally, E-Communications has observed through past surveys that Apple products make up 57 percent of network-enabled devices used by students on campus. They are now putting more resources toward Apple products and interfaces.
    Student feedback is also what drove Student Business Services to create an e-check payment option. Now, 80 percent of students pay UCSD through e-check.
    Students also asked the bookstore to expand their non-book products, such as dorm supplies, toiletries and gifts. Bookstore shoppers can see that these products are now available and the selection changes every year depending on student needs.
    Both undergraduate and graduate students may be invited to take the survey.
    “Ideally, at least 40 to 50 percent of the people we invite would take the survey,” Field said.
    This year’s survey will open on Feb. 15 and run through March 14.

Note: This is an updated version of this story. The originial incorrectly cited Student Business Services as the host of the survey. The mistake has been corrected.

$2515
    $5000