Fencing Places Third at Colorado Invite

The women’s team placed third overall, although the Tritons got good results from Division I competition, first and second place finishers Northwestern and Stanford.

The women defeated Cal Tech 26–1, Air Force 16–11, the University of Florida 14–13 and Swarthmore College 24–3.

The women’s team was carried by junior Lexy Stanley and sophomore Munira Gesner, who finished with sabre records of 13–4 and 12–4 respectively.

Sophomore Amrit Khalsa led the Tritons in foil with a score of 10–5, and senior Casey Gilcrist took epee, going 9–5.

The men’s team placed fourth overall behind the University of Notre Dame, Air Force and Stanford, who placed first, second and third respectively.

The Tritons had winning records against Cal Tech 25–2, Florida 20–7 and Swarthmore 23–4.

Junior Joseph Schenkel had an impressive showing in foil, posting a score of 12–3 and sophomore Luc Ginestet went 12–6 in epee.

Other strong showings were posted by freshman Adam Campbell-Kruger with a 12–6 in epee and sophomores Bryan Abilay (10–8) and Nick Bartuzik (9–6) made impressive showings in sabre.

Both fencing teams will compete this weekend, Jan. 13 to Jan. 16 at the Division I Junior NAC competition in Portland, Ore.