Tritons Top UC Davis 10-6 at Home

Breaking a four-game losing streak last week with a win against unranked Occidental last Saturday, Oct. 22., the Tritons defeated UC Davis 10-6.

The two teams, who have identical WWPA records, retired after the first period with the score drawn 3-3.

Davis’ Walter Eggert netted two goals for the Aggies, while the Tritons saw scoring from junior utility Jon Butler, senior captain Graham Saber and sophomore Josh Stiling.

The sophomore would tack on two more goals in the second period. Stiling’s hat trick gave UCSD the 6-4 advantage with 2:47 left in the half.

The Tritons held onto the lead into halftime, but the Aggies cut the deficit by one in the third quarter on a goal by Trevor Allen. But UCSD kept in front of the Aggies with a big goal from junior utility Brian Donohoe just before the end of the period, putting the score at 6-8.

The Tritons showed tough defensively, with goalkeeper David Morton registering a remarkable 10 saves on the night, compared to Davis keeper Kevin Peat’s four saves.

“Everyone really played well offensively and defensively,” Morton said in an interview with UCSD athletics representatives after the game. “It was a whole team effort.”

Into the last period, the Aggies were unable to crack the Triton defense, as UCSD outscored UC Davis 2-0, with goals from Saber and freshman Matthew Michalko.

“The win was huge,” Morton said. “I know after last week after we lost to [Loyola Marymount] we were really bummed, and tonight was really important to us to clench the No. 2 seed.”

With their No. 11 ranking still intact and just three more matches before the end of the regular season, the Tritons will look to prepare for the postseason. UCSD will have two more home matches.

On Friday, Nov. 4, the Tritons will host Santa Clara and on Sunday, Nov. 6, they will face off against UCLA.

Against the Bruins, the Tritons will honor their four graduating seniors: William Brown, Matt Kerchner, Morton and Saber.

$2515
    $5000