Triton Golf Finishes Ninth

The Tritons finished the two-day tournament in ninth place out of the 16 teams (representing Division II, Division III, and NAIA).

UCSD sent a young squad up to Corning: three sophomores and two freshmen.

Sophomore Lewis Simon was the Tritons’ top finisher, shooting a combined total of 229 in the three rounds.

Sophomore David Smith finished in second for the Tritons with a combined score of 234, while freshman Jay Lim shot a total of 234.

“Obviously, there’s lots of room for improvement,” assistant coach Keith Okasaki said. “The course was pretty tough, the wind was blowing around 30 mph, and the team that won is one of the top teams in the nation. But our team’s pretty young, with three sophomores and two freshmen and we’re going to keep looking to improve.”

No. 5 Chico State’s senior All-American Kyle Souza was the tournament’s top individual finisher, while the Wildcats also won the team competition finishing 20 strokes above second place Grand Canyon.

UCSD returns to the green next Monday and Tuesday on Oct. 24-25, to compete in Seaside, Calif. at the Cal State Monterey Bay Otter Invitational.

$2515
    $5000