Okasaki Moving on After Tournament

“Our particular conference is so strong that we have perennial college powers — Sonoma State, Chico State [and] Cal State Monterey Bay,” head coach Mike Wydra said.

Cal State Monterey Bay won the conference title by two strokes over Chico State. The Otters’ Scott Yeakel won the individual title by shooting 210 over the three-round tournament.

Senior Keith Okasaki led the Tritons, finishing in a tie for 11th place overall with one-over 217. Okasaki was four strokes back going into the final round, but had a rough final round score of 75 to fall back.

Lewis Simon finished 13th overall with a plus two, missing Super-Regional qualification by a few strokes.

On his first day, Okasaki putted extremely well. During the second round, strong putting continued to keep his score around even par. The last round went less smoothly, but Okasaki was able to recover overall for a 70-72-75.

“In this particular tournament, he putted extremely well, and he’s been working on his putting for the last couple of years even, but sometimes you just happen upon something that makes a big difference,” Wydra said. “We’re hoping that serves him well in the tournament in Albuquerque.”

Okasaki said he was happy that he played at even par for all three rounds through an “impossibly tough” four-hole stretch.

Making it to Super Regionals isn’t new for Okasaki.

“I’ve been there the last couple of years, so I know what to expect,” Okasaki said. “I just need to put some more work in and prepare for it.”

In his sophomore year, Okasaki placed 31st with a 226 overall, and last year he shot 232.

Okasaki’s game plan includes working on overall consistency and short game.

“[I’ve] just got to chip and putt better, if I don’t hit the ball well,” Okasaki said. “I got to keep myself in it somehow.”

Okasaki hits the green next on May 2 in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the NCAA Super Regional.

Readers can contact Jessica Traynor at [email protected].

$2515
    $5000