UCSD Swim Hangs Tough

SWIMMING AND DIVING — Another weekend of high-level competition ended with mixed results for the UCSD women’s swim team, as they defeated Cal State Bakersfield 186-101, but lost to Fresno State and San Diego State, 169-129 and 183-111, respectively, at the Hillman Aquatics Center in Bakersfield.

The men’s team lost to Bakersfield 169-125 and did not compete against the other schools. It was another arduous meet for a swim team that has been exhausted in recent weeks by the heavy competition they have been swimming with.

“We’re extremely fatigued right now,” head coach Scott McGihon said. “Winter break was a heavy training period, and last week we went heavy again, and were just sitting and thinking we didn’t have any speed at the beginning of the race, but we’ve got some speed at the back end of the race.”

It was a long meet for both teams, but there were many bright spots. Junior captain Alex Henley continued her dominance by taking the 100-yard backstroke and the 100 butterfly with times of 57.67 and 58.21, respectively. Henley has now won seven different events in the last three meets.

Freshman Emily Adamczyk won the 200-yard individual medley 2:11.06 to claim another victory for the women.

Junior Matt Herman won the long events for the men. He took the 1000 yard freestyle with a time of 9:33.52 and the 500 freestyle with a 4:41.29. Freshman Alex Merrill won the last event the Tritons would win on the day, as he finished first in the 200-freestyle with a time of 1:43.60. The 400 yard freestyle team of sophomore Amber Tan, senior captain Anju Shimura, freshman Anji Shakya and Henley finished in second place, losing to Fresno State by a quarter of a second.

Tyler Runsten, Patrick Cohen and Luke Calkins took the top three spots in the one-meter diving competition.

Overall, McGihon said he wasn’t disappointed with the weekend results.

“We’re never happy to not win a meet,” McGihon said, “But we’re in a pretty good mood when we look at where we’re at in our training cycle. All the athletes’ effort level are extremely high and you can’t ask for more than that. They were all out there doing the best they could.”

The Tritons will be home next weekend as they take on Cal Baptist at noon at Canyonview Pool.

Readers can contact Tyler Nelson at [email protected].

$2515
    $5000