For Electronica Star, It’s An L.A. Thing.

Nosaj Thing, otherwise known as Los Angeles resident Jason Chung, crafts complex, instrumental hip-hop music that sounds almost nothing like hip-hop. Indeed, Nosaj Thing’s intricate production, dense minor chord synthesizers and digitally manipulated beats bear little resemblance to anything you might hear on the radio, though their persistent rhythmic drive and sense of pace is very much indebted to producers like Dr. Dre and The Neptunes.

Chung, who has associated with Flying Lotus, Gaslamp Killer and other members of the current LA-based electronic music community, has spent much of the last year developing a much-hyped projection visuals system synched to his live performance. Be sure to catch the United States debut of this visuals show when Nosaj Thing — along with likeminded beat-heads Toro Y Moi and Jogger — plays at The Loft at UCSD next Thursday.

Jason Chung talked to The Guardian about the upcoming trippy show, his musical influences and adding a vocalist to his one-man show.

The Guardian: How has living in Los Angeles influenced your music?

Jason Chung: It’s been a huge influence. We are always driving or in the car with someone else listening to music. My dad always put on Beatles, Dylan, or Simon and Garfunkel when he used to drop me off at pre-school and kindergarten. When I had to take the bus in elementary school, the bus driver always had the radio on . . . This was when I first got into hip-hop. They always played the local hip-hop radio station, Power 106 or 92.3, The Beat. I was instantly hooked. I got really into G-funk and got a hold of Snoop and Warren G. Fast forward to getting into the KROQ, LA Rave scene, Punk/Noise/DIY at The Smell, to Low End Theory.

G: What are some non-musical influences that have inspired you musically?

JC: Friends, family, meeting new people, and everyday experiences inspire me. Those interactions affect my mood and my music.

G: A lot has been written about the fact that you grew up listening to early ‘90s G-funk artists (Warren G., Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg). What do you think contemporary hip-hop musicians can learn from that kind of music?

JC: I just really loved the mix between funk music and hip-hop. That West Coast sound just had an instant classic feel to it. When I first heard it, I had no idea how it was made or where it came from. I was just really into the grooves. I guess they can learn that it was just simple and good—referring to the past and making it fresh with the new.

G: Are there any new artists that you’re particularly excited about?

JC: I’ve been listening to James Blake. He’s a producer from London and is really killing it right now. His sound design and composition skills are really fresh.

G: Are you excited to tour with Toro Y Moi? Any chance of a Nosaj/Toro collaboration coming out at some point?

JC: We were talking about meeting early before the tour to work on something special . . . I’m not sure if it will work out since we both have deadlines to meet before the tour. Perhaps we’ll come up with something on the road.

G: One of The November Tour’s biggest draws is supposedly a new visual show that you guys have been working with. What do you think your AV setup adds to the live experience?

JC: It adds so much. It makes the show a full-out experience. We’ve been working on it for a while now and it’s always evolving . . . That’s what excites me about it. You’ll never see the same show again. Every show is unique.

G: Do you like to work on music while touring?

JC: I prefer making music at home with my studio monitors but sometimes, I really enjoy writing music on planes. There aren’t any distractions so I can focus. I wrote “Us” while I was flying.

G: You’ve stated in interviews that you’d like to find a vocalist for your next record. Do you think you’ll have to change your musical style in order to accommodate another person in your sound?

JC: Not necessarily, I’d just have to make space for the vocalist. We’ll see how it goes . . . I’m working on it.

Nosaj Thing will be playing at The Loft with Toro Y Moi and Jogger on Wednesday, Nov. 10. Tickets are $6 for Loft members, $12 regularly.

$2515
$5000