Triton Swimming Eases to First Duel Win Over CMS

John Hanacek / Guardian

SWIMMING — The UCSD Swim team handily defeated Clairemont-Mudd-Scripps on Saturday in its first duel meet of the year. For the day, UCSD won all but one individual event on each side, as the men’s side won by a score of 215-84 and the women won 191-104.

Junior captain Alex Henley won three events while juniors Neda Nguyen, Patrick Cohen, Matt Herman, Blake Langland and Eric Owens, sophomore Amber Tan and freshmen Anji Shakya and See Han Lee won two events each.

“Swimming against another team for the first time after we’ve been training for eight weeks, and training against ourselves, is getting a little tiring,” head coach Scott McGihon said. “It’s good to have the outside competition.”

The men’s and women’s 200-yard medley teams got the meet off on the right path. The women’s team of Nguyen, Tan, senior Jessica Ferguson and freshman Sandy Hon won with a time of 1:49.39, while the men’s team of Owens, Langland and freshmen Nick Korth and Ahiram Rodriguez won with a time of 1:35.70.

While the Tritons performed well, the team said they were tired from the training.

“We’re really tired and we actually have learned how to race when we’re tired,” McGihon said.

Senior captain Anju Shimura also said the team did well despite training through its first duel meet.

“We’ve been training pretty hard and I know the coaches beat us up last week,” he said, “But [the team] all did really well today. It was really exciting. They’re really tired, but they sucked it up and did great.”

The Tritons got good performances from their freshmen, with several taking podium spots.

“We’re expecting a lot [from the new guys],” junior captain Michael Lorch said. “We believe in them in a huge way, and we’re expecting all of them to compete at conference or nationals.”

UCSD will hope to grow from its experience with Clairemont-Mudd-Scripps, as the squad will travel to go head to head with UC Santa Barbara next weekend in. The Tritons have never beaten the Gauchos in a duel meet.

“Going into that meet knowing we’ve never beat them is a downer,” Shimura said, “But it’s also an extra motivation, because this year we have an awesome team and I think we’re going to do real[ly] well this year.”

Nevertheless, the Tritons have high expectations for the meet.

“We expect to do extremely well at Santa Barbara,” Lorch said. “We expect the men and women to win, and pull a little bit of an upset. We are going to go in as if it’s the end of the year and swim as hard as we can, even though we’ll probably be tired and broken down a little.”

$2505
    $5000