Ashton Takes Us Where the Wobbles Are

Bassnectar
    Cozza Frenzy
    Child’s Play
    9/10

Screen shot 2009-11-05 at 10.53.17 AMIt was almost 4 a.m. at Burning Man, and the night was turning delirious. Peering out of his monkey costume with huge eyes, my friend grabbed my hand and said, “We’re about to see Bassnectar. Are you ready to feel the wobbles?”

The what? When we entered the pulsing tent, it hit me like a brick wall. The speakers threw out a bass line so heavy, the vibrations in the air around us were more intense than the sound. WOB WOB WOB. They were felt.

A month after burning the man, Bassnectar — San Francisco deejay/mix-meister Lorin Ashton — has released Cozza Frenzy. While nothing can replace the sensory intensity of a live show, the unbelievably thick bass on Ashton’s latest makes it impossible not to get raucous. And a good sound system (in other words, not your laptop) is enough to make you forget you’re not there in person.

A self-described mixture of dubstep, electro, hip-hop, dirty digital, bass-heavy music, Bassnectar goes more bizarre than ever on Cozza Frenzy. The deejay throws in dashes of creepy circus music and recorded giggles, playing a meandering game of hide-and-seek with your senses — fading in and out and gradually drawing up to mind-blowing crescendos. The album alternates heavy-hitting thumpers with mellow tracks like “Window Seat” and “I Wish I Was a Hipster, well-timed breaks from the nonstop bass attack.

Each track stands stark from the next: An upbeat and to-the-point “Boombox” rockets the album out of its packaging, while “Cozza Frenzy” and “Are You Ready” are more than enough amp for the wild night ahead (and may even inspire interpretive dance). A final two remixes bleed euphoria and, along with the ghostly “Before We Dissolve,” are enough to make a jellyfish of you. And most definitely feel the wobbles.

$2515
    $5000