NO on Proposition 10

WHAT IT WOULD DO: Allow the state to sell $5 billion in bonds to spend on programs supporting alternative fuels and renewable energy. The majority of the money would be spent on rebate programs.

Simply put, Proposition 10 is a ridiculous scheme that is being advertised by proponents as an effort to benefit the environment.

Backed by Clean Energy Fuels Corp. — the natural-gas company of billionaire Texas oil baron T. Boone Pickens — the measure would shell out taxpayer money largely in the form of rebates to boost the alternative-fuel vehicle market, focusing on hydrogen, electric and natural-gas engines.

The catch? The rebates are structured so that most would go to subsidizing natural-gas-powered vehicles, thus building a customer base for Pickens’ business. Furthermore, the measure stipulates that in order for alternative-fuel vehicles to qualify for rebates, they must be only “as clean” as gasoline-powered vehicles, an obvious slap in the face to anyone who really supports the environment, courtesy of California taxpayers.

The only green part of this initiative is the money that will be flowing into Pickens’ company. Vote no on Proposition 10.

$2515
    $5000