Undergrads Recieve Library Research Prize

The 2008 Undergraduate Library Research Prize was awarded to four UCSD students for their outstanding skills and work in research.

Co-sponsored by the UCSD Libraries and Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Penny Rue, the prize includes cash awards of $1,000 and $500 for upper- and lower-division students, respectively.

Students must present their research at the annual spring Undergraduate Research Conference. According to the Academic Enrichment Program, which sponsored the event, more than 140 UCSD undergraduates reported their research findings this year.

“The winners of this year’s Undergraduate Library Research Prize reflect the high level of intellectual inquiry and accomplishment that UC San Diego has become known for,” Rue said.

First prize in the social sciences, arts and humanities went to international studies major Mary Tharin for her honors thesis on religion and politics in Pakistan at the end of the 20th century.

Second prize in the social sciences, arts and humanities went to senior Michael Hirshman, a history major, for his honors thesis on Napoleonic Spain.

First prize in the life and physical sciences went to Steven Shimizu, a double major in chemistry and chemical engineering, for a research project involving the synthesis of zinc oxide, which is studied widely for its optical and semiconductor properties.

Second prize in the life and physical sciences was awarded to cognitive science major Jacqueline Acuna for her research on maternal behaviors related to infant emotions, stress and shared attention.

“The UC San Diego Libraries are pleased to recognize this year’s Library Research Prize award-winners,” Geisel Librarian Brian E. C. Schottlaender said. “They clearly demonstrated the outstanding research skills needed to achieve academic excellence at UCSD and beyond. Their thoughtful and strategic use of a wide range of library resources, from specialized databases and library bibliographic tools to electronic journals and manuscript collections was compelling.”