For A.S. Activities or Not, There Have Been Fee Hikes

Dear Editor,

There hasn’t been a fee referendum since 1985? Seriously, what are you guys smoking? Your editorial said that the proposed activity fee referendum would be the first one put before the student body “since the council’s inception in 1985.” That’s a load of bull. Allow me to school you on UCSD history:

2001: A.S./Price Center $70 “Campus Life” fee referendum; 2002: Athletics hikes your fees by $26.50; 2002: Eleanor Roosevelt hikes fees by $5; 2002: $39 Price Center fee hike; 2003: A.S. $6.75 fee referendum; 2002-03: John Muir, Revelle, Thurgood Marshall, Sixth Colleges hike fees; 2004: Earl Warren College hikes fees by $4; 2006: Athletics hikes your fees by $75; 2007: A.S. hikes fees by $7 (from $21 to $28); 2008: Warren hikes fees by $3.

And those are just the ones I found in five minutes of Googling the Guardian archives. Every eight months, more people try to get you students to raise your fees to fund their idiot projects. This referendum isn’t a novel idea, and it’s certainly not the first time it has happened since 1985. The A.S. Council last hiked its activity fee from $21 to $28 in 2007.Your short memories are a disservice to your readership.

— Daniel Watts
    Earl Warren College alumnus

$2515
    $5000