Loft Wine Ads Highlight Administrative Hypocrisy

The Loft’s much-publicized wine tasting last week finally crystallized the mists of hypocrisy that UCSD student groups have been forced to deal with for all too long. While the A.S. Council has had to navigate irrational administrative roadblocks and an outdated and paternalistic alcohol advertising policy, it seems the rules don’t apply to UCSD’s most pretentious newbie. If administrators are set on selectively enforcing this policy — which they have repeatedly proved to be by treating it with the honor of the Constitution when students are concerned, but then somehow letting it slip from memory when it works to their advantage — the policy needs to be completely re-evaluated.

Strictly prohibiting the advertisement of alcohol at events is clearly an unnecessary measure in the first place. UCSD is not a dry campus, it’s a top-ranked public university filled with many of-age adults who are perfectly able to enjoy responsibly, as illustrated by two years of successful Bear Gardens in addition to the Loft’s four-drink event.

Whether the event’s emphasis is social or “educational,” the reality is simple: Sometimes, hardworking Tritons over the age of 21 just want to take an afternoon off with friends, pop some bottles and enjoy the day. And as long as they’re safe about it, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. But this is no shock to campus higher-ups; if safety concerns were really at the root of their uncompromising contempt for all things student-hosted and bubbly, they’d at least think twice before allowing the Loft to so widely publicize, or even host, its minimal-security four-drinks-in-less-than-two-hours shindig. But the wine tasting — while snobby as all get out — did not confirm any of the countless complaints administrators have voiced about Bear Gardens. Students didn’t flood from their classes to attend, no outrageous brawls broke out and, in fact, not that much really happened. Some UCSD students had fun. The world did not implode.

The Loft’s wine tasting is a great step toward institutionalizing normal, healthy fun at UCSD. Now it’s time that administrators stop favoring their own pet projects and extend the same publicity privileges to the campus’ most important constituency — its students.

$2515
    $5000