Summer Movie Preview: ""Hairspray""

John Travolta in drag? What? If for nothing else than to see Travolta take a stab at dressing as the fairer sex, “”Hairspray”” is worth at least a gander or two. But the film boasts a veritable cornucopia of reasons to worship its fabulousness, one being that it was inspired by camp legend John Waters’ original 1988 film: Set during the 1960s in Baltimore, “”Hairspray”” is a musical about race, dancing and the right to tease one’s hair to its fullest capacity.

Taking on the role that once belonged to Rikki Lake, Nikki Blonsky plays Tracy Turnblad, a voluptuous high school student who’s got all the right stuff on the dance floor, and proves it with a winning spot on the popular “”Corny Collins Show.”” As it turns out, 1962 wasn’t exactly known for its equality – thus, black teenagers aren’t allowed on the show. So it’s up to Tracy to dance, sing and end segregation, all while breaking the stereotype that thin is the only attractive female option. But the real fun will start when Mrs. Turnblad (Travolta) tries on ladies’ undies and Christopher Walken pulls some of his signature dance moves. July 20.