A Day Without 'Westminster'

It’s easy to tune out the time-keeping dongs of “”Westminster Quarters,”” the classic church-chime tune that’s followed us from childhood to college campus, ingrained in our brains with an attached air of tardiness. But 18 years ago, fake-cadaver millionaire Joe Rubinger noticed instead the silence, and took it upon himself to ensure that a carillon (fancy word for full set of chimes) was installed atop Geisel Library to ring in the hour, every hour.

Arash Keshmirian/Guardian

Official university carillonneur Scott Paulson doesn’t take this task lightly. Leading the way up a top-secret route to the library’s roof and into the small gray box that houses his precious instrument, Paulson lamented the fact that most students (even tour guides) think the hourly marker is just a sound sample. He flitted from control station to keyboard to chimes like the veteran he is – adorned in Dr. Suess hat – and explained the E-flat and G overtones contained in a single strike of the C, the elaborate history of old-world bell towers and UCSD’s own authentic 23-note system.

But “”Westminster Quarters”” will be temporarily retired this Friday at 12 p.m. to commemorate Rubinger’s birthday, replaced by an original composition from Thurgood Marshall College junior and music performance major Tom Ferguson, who plays the electric and upright bass. “”I want to take advantage of the sonority of the bells,”” he said, which he also compared to “”heroin or potato chips”” in their tendency to perpetuate.

Indeed, as Paulson demonstrated by striking repeated chords (after switching off the loudspeaker, of course), such a resonating instrument can be a muddy affair if not played with careful scarcity. Though Ferguson has not yet rehearsed Friday’s piece, the carillonneur said the experience could be replicated by “”going to the piano, leaving the pedal on and playing as loud as you can.”” (SW)

Arash Keshmirian/Guardian

To make a noontime carillon request (“”Stairway to Heaven”” is a popular one), e-mail Paulson at [email protected].

Plays June 1

Carillon Composition

Geisel