New Speaker Sandoe Faces Intense First Meeting

Although the new A.S. Council has seen no more than two meetings, it has already undergone some partisan bickering.

To start the meeting, outgoing Associate Vice President of Athletic Relations Kari Gohd, Associate Vice President of Enterprise Operations Sydney Goldberg and Associate Vice President of Student Advocacy Lindsay Root, all of whom sat at their last meeting this week, gave goodbye speeches and advice to the council.

Gohd reminded the council that they enjoy more privileges and luxuries than the average UCSD student.

She advised the student representatives to make decisions based on their “”information,”” and not on the constituents’ opinions. As a final word, she warned, “”Don’t date people on A.S. Period.””

Reports of committees featured several new appointments to associate vice president positions, including former vice president external Long Pham as the associate vice president of academic affairs. Neetu Balram will replace Root as associate vice president of student advocacy. Junn Paulino was appointed associate vice president of diversity affairs and Chelsea Maxwell will succeed Goldberg as associate vice president of enterprise operations.

The Committee on Appointments progressed smoothly until it presented the appointment of Stephanie Chang as associate vice president of athletics for approval. The committee controversially tapped the relatively unknown Chang, a member of the women’s crew team, over former Earl Warren College Junior Senator Dan Palay.

Hoping to “”take athletics in a different direction,”” the committee opted for a candidate without a background in student government.

The appointment was met with fierce opposition, however, led by All-Campus Senator Meghan Clair. Clearly in support of Palay, Clair said she was “”not comfortable with the appointment,”” and that “”the other appointee would be a better candidate.””

Sixth College Senator Micah Jones and Triton Pride President Dave Payne, among others, supported Clair. Payne emphatically expressed his disappointment with the appointment of Chang, arguing that “”knowing how to get things done”” was more important than being simply motivated and excited about the position.

The dissenters stressed that Chang was inexperienced with council procedure. And considering that the athletics office is at such a “”pivotal point,”” someone with a lot of “”know-how”” was required, he added.

Among the supporters, Vice President of Student Life Donna Bean insisted that effort, strong principles and vision were the qualities that mattered most for the position.

Biological Sciences Senator Emma Sandoe faced a challenging first meeting as the new speaker, trying to keep debate on the issue of Chang’s merits, while members persisted in discussing other candidates, namely Palay.

After further circular debate and a call to question, the appointment of Chang passed 13-7.

$2515
    $5000