High Tide Drowns Out Competition

In UCSD’s 10th annual Battle of the Bands contest, which raged in Price Center plaza on April 25, five campus bands competed for a chance to play in this year’s Sun God festival, with rockers High Tide stealing the win.

Hillary Elder/Guardian
    Campus band High Tide took the top spot at the 10th annual Battle of the Bands competition, earning the right to perform at this year’s Sun God festival. High Tide beat out competitiors Zandi and the Mercenaries of Funk, Knoboff, Austin James Band and Suicide Failures.

Students cheered on the bands, each granted 10 minutes of stage time to convince the three judges – who critiqued the bands according to their live performance, musical talent and whether they would fit into Sun God’s atmosphere – of their musical talent.

“”We’re looking for good stage presence,”” A.S. Programming Coordinator and judge Dan Peskin said. “”You want a band that gets the crowd going. I feel really good about this year’s competition.””

The first band to perform, Zandi and the Mercenaries of Funk, brought a mixture of soul, RandB, jazz, hip-hop and a load of funk to the stage.

“”We really wanted to bring a different style and genre to Sun God, like Aretha Franklin and the classics,”” lead singer Zandi said.

The band ended its performance to a chorus of groupies screaming, “”You’re funkin’ amazing!””

The next act, head-banging Knoboff, clashed with Zandi’s soulful jazz, bringing hard rock and punk to the stage, followed by the reggae-heavy, beachy overtones of High Tide.

The latter group sang about protecting the environment and civil rights while trying “”to play music that everyone can relate to,”” guitarist Justin Fritsch said.

Members of the Austin James Band demonstrated their musical versatility by switching instruments and positions on the stage while chorusing that they had a “”really good time.””

The final act, the Suicide Failures, originated as a satire on emo-punk bands and sang about Facebook.com, Chuck Norris and laundry.

“”Now we’re rock stars,”” lead singer Boris Babenko said. “”My mom knows us.””

Peskin said it was a tough decision for the judges, who narrowed it down to High Tide and the Austin James Band. But ultimately, the judges decided that High Tide would bring a good vibe to Sun God.

The Suicide Failures applauded the loss in relief that they didn’t win, while Zandi and the Mercenaries of Funk were “”pretty disappointed.””

“”All I got to say is funk that!”” Zandi said.

Sixth College junior Theo Fitzgerald said that he was happy about High Tide’s win.

“”High Tide definitely flows with the San Diego style,”” Fitzgerald said. “”They’re number one so far.””

Sun God will be held this year on May 18.

$2515
    $5000