Web Exclusive: Costello Music – The Fratellis

Seemingly out of nowhere, a little threesome known as The Fratellis have crash-landed in the States via a notorious iPod commercial and some rump-shaking Scot-rock. Despite their spunky band name, not one of the crew is actually related by blood or has the surname Fratelli (leaving curious fans to hypothesize as they wish). In a very Ramones-style collaboration, the trio decided to unify into a musical brotherhood and coordinate clothes rather then chromosomes.

Instead of being a carbon copy of the simple 1980s punk group however, the Fratellis have managed to become an amalgam of glam rock, bar-room stomp and lusty glee. Their noise ranges from an almost circus-like stampede of noise to lyrical vignettes and burlesque peep-show parades – and all in the space of a chorus. Songs like “”Chelsea Dagger”” swagger with an irresistably carefree masculinity: “”Gave me gear thank you dear bring yer sister over here/Let her dance with me just for the hell of it.””

But the album has a slightly serious side; Packed between layers of zinging guitars and punchy chords, topics like drug addiction and prostitution breeze gently past in a haze of pub chatter and alcohol. The Fratellis spend their time spicing up drinking songs and playing musical grab-ass with the vixens they just can’t seem to catch. Call it genius or call it paltry, but don’t deny Costello Music’s call to dance – and never take it too seriously.

$2515
    $5000