Recordings: Swan Lake – Beast Moans

With a debut album like Beast Moans, it’s only fitting that two of indie rock’s foremost moaners – Dan Bejar and Spencer Krug – would be at the helm of new Pitchfork supergroup Swan Lake. Curiously enough, Swan Lake is one of many projects that both Krug and Bejar have undertaken in the past few years. Bejar plays a major role in the Canadian collective The New Pornographers, while Krug spends his time gliding between both critic- and fan-friendly groups Wolf Parade and Sunset Rubdown. With so many musical commitments, it makes one wonder how they found the time to make the rich and compelling album that is Beast Moans.

Reminiscent of The Decemberists’ Colin Meloy, Bejar provides passionate sea-chanty vocals for the opener, “”Widow’s Walk.”” But electronic blips and echoed harmonies fracture Bejar’s vocal domination, forcing the listener to focus as a stable pop song unravels right in front of him. “”All Fires”” sounds like a softer moment on Sunset Rubdown’s Shut Up I Am Dreaming – until an oscillating guitar pierces the track, crescendoing from ear to ear and turning Krug’s familiar sound into something ambiguous and universal.

Carey Mercer (of Frog Eyes) rounds out the group, providing raw and frantic song structures that are as diverse as they are disordered. With the power of three songwriters, Swan Lake manages to entertain while it intrigues, an admirable and seldom-achieved accomplishment.