Student found dead in car

The body of a UCSD student was found in a parked car on Gilman Drive last week in an apparent suicide, according to the San Diego Police Department.

The county Medical Examiner’s Office identified the student as Samuel Nahm, a 26-year-old Thurgood Marshall College junior from Los Angeles.

Nahm’s body was found on Oct. 13 in the driver’s seat of a white 1995 Mitsubishi Mirage by two pedestrians on Gilman Drive and Evening Way, about half a mile away from campus, according to SDPD homicide division Sgt. Pete Morales.

The seat was reclined, Morales said. Because the pedestrians could not tell if something was wrong, they called the police.

Although Morales said he did not see any signs of foul play at the scene, he said police had not ruled out any possibilities and indicated the death could also be the result of an accident or a homicide.

“We’re waiting for an autopsy to be performed by the medical examiner,” Morales said.

Morales said that he did not know when the autopsy would be completed.

This was Nahm’s first quarter at UCSD, Marshall Dean of Student Affairs Ashanti Hands said.

Marshall will provide support services for students who knew Nahm, according to Hands. But she said that Marshall did not have any direct community to target because Nahm was a new student, a commuter and had no known involvement with any college organizations.

“Physically, we’ll let the community dictate to us what the needs are,” Hands said.

Hands said that on-campus mental health services are available for students and encouraged students to utilize them.

She also said peers of students experiencing mental health problems should encourage their friends to seek counseling.

“We’re certainly grieving and saddened,” Hands said. “We missed an opportunity to connect with a person with such great potential.”

$2515
    $5000