Recordings: Wolfmother – Wolfmother

Australian trio Wolfmother has succeeded in channeling the head-banging, pot-smoking depths of classic rock into the 21st century. Melding together legends like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, Wolfmother’s rocking guitar riffs, thundering rhythm, wailing organs and raw vocals send the mind on a melodic journey back to the ’70s.

Recordings: Wolfmother – Wolfmother

Singer Andrew Stockdale’s opening howl grabs for attention on first track “Dimension,” as the band masterfully evokes the energetic feeling of stadium rock for the new age. And the Zeppelin-like storm does not stop there.

“Dimension” is just the beginning of the Sabbath-style basslines, fuzzy guitars and crisp melodies that scream vintage. Mellow moments are mixed in to provide a break from the noise, but drum avalanches and heavy power chords always interrupt to welcome back the rock.

While there are scattered traces of newer influences like Soundgarden, Queens of the Stone Age and the White Stripes that don’t quite fit into the psychedelic groove, this just shows Wolfmother’s willingness to explore other types of rock. Even when Stockdale sounds like Jack White channeling Robert Plant, Wolfmother retains the same rough, wild edge that provides the signature for the album. At the very least, it’s refreshing to experience a little of the past and to know that bands these days still know how to rock like they used to.

$2515
    $5000