Editorial: Don’t Celebrate SRTV’s Return to Air Just Yet

Upon first glance, the return of Student-Run Television’s signal seems to be a triumph. After all, it has brought an end to months of politicking and bitter relations between A.S. councilmembers, administrators and station officials … right? SRTV co-Manager Andrew Tess and A.S. President Harry Khanna know better, and so does this board.

Both Tess and Khanna have expressed limited satisfaction over the station’s restricted return between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., and retain their criticisms made earlier this year about the administrators’ “acceptable use policy” for Triton Cable. Both have described the document — which bars various forms of sexual and indecent programming — as “overreaching” and “draconian.” While this is a start, Tess and Khanna should take even stronger action in their fight against censorship, even if that means losing the signal now.

Currently, the station’s return is half-hearted. Programming is stiffly regulated during the day, then is shut off to ensure no indecent material airs.

Until he can barter with administrators for more lenient content regulations, Khanna might be better off shutting down the station and diverting SRTV’s $8,000 budget to other areas. Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Joseph W. Watson is ready to choke the station’s content for good, as the University of California Office of the President is close to approving the AUP.

If it does so, Watson and acting Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Life Gary R. Ratcliff will have a heavy bargaining chip in talks where administrators have already been inflexible. Because of this, student leaders must act quickly to accomplish the ultimate goal: freedom of speech for students.

$2515
    $5000