New Triton Cable Rules Pit Council Against Watson

Order was restored to the UCSD universe this week, with the withering-but-not-quite-dead Student-Run Television debacle once again running away with the spotlight at the final A.S. Council meeting of winter quarter.

While deciding on her potential appointment as the next SRTV general manager, the council spontaneously grilled former co-Manager Tiffany Rapp about the current and future state of the station, which remains off-air pending administrative action. Rapp, along with General co-Manager Andy Tess, was in charge of the station when the council shut it down in November for airing an unscheduled program.

When asked to detail her qualifications for the position, Rapp stressed that her four years with SRTV, two as a director and station manager, as well as her close working relationship with Tess were reason enough to give her the general manager position. Some councilmembers expressed concern over the Triton Cable “appropriate use policy,” which establishes rules for programming aired on the station. However, as some of the standards are not consistent with the current SRTV charter, senators questioned which document Rapp would hold in higher regard.

“If next year the commissioner of programming told you to do something, but you morally disagreed with it, would you do it?” Thurgood Marshall College Chair Denis Shmidt asked.

Rapp agreed that she would obey council orders, later responding to a similar question posed by Vice President of Academic Affairs Harry Khanna. “I don’t think I would just disregard [legislation] put in front of me,” she said. Despite three votes against her, Rapp’s appointment passed with 18 votes. The council continued to discuss the terms of the appropriate use policy for Triton Cable in greater detail during its council caucus.

Before this could happen, however, a disagreement occured over a $500 allocation for a Sixth and Revelle College ski trip, a senator project submitted by Revelle College Sophomore Senator Dan Florek and Sixth College Sophomore Senator Gina Depper. Uncertainty arose when Senate Chair Josh Martino announced that the event would be open to students from all colleges, although it would not be advertised to those students.

“Do you guys know what not advertising means?” Shmidt said. “If you don’t know the people, then you don’t go.”

The debate then turned from the particular event to senator projects in general, with some senators claiming that it was unusual for them to be put under such scrutiny.

After the debate, the funding was approved in a 15-4-3 vote. Going back to SRTV, the council vented about the acceptable use policy and its ban of “the f-word,” as well as the unlimited authority it would give Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Joseph W. Watson over the status of the station.

“Dr. Watson is God as far as the [policy] is involved,” Khanna said. “He is the judge, jury and executioner.”

With all of the council appearing to lean in the same direction, promises of future resolutions on the topic ended the calmest council caucus of the year — that had nothing to do with breakfast food, that is.