Student jobs offer high pay

In the midst of midterm season, finding employment with a flexible schedule and high pay can be difficult and stressful for a college student. Students simply do not have the time or energy this late in the game to sift through job posting boards in hopes of picking out that perfect job. Luckily, there is still work out there for students. One just has to know where to look.

One option that has become popular among students for its scheduling flexibility and high salary is catering. Once hired, workers simply accept or decline e-mails or phone calls from the staff coordinator and create their own full- or part-time schedule. Revelle senior Chris Geissinger, has been employed at Metro Gourmet Catering for six months.

“It’s a great experience,” he said. “I work at awesome houses, and the pay is good.”

Geissinger earns $15 per hour plus occasional tips by serving and bussing at cocktail and dinner parties. He sets his own hours, choosing to work one party every two weeks.

“I found out about Metro Gourmet at the Career Services job listing board,” Geissinger said. For more information about Metro Gourmet, visit http://www.metrogourmetinc.com.

For students who are looking for a quick, easy way to make some extra money and have fun, Leapfrog Innovations is another option. Based in Massachusetts, Leapfrog is hired by corporate businesses all over the country, such as Microsoft and Cisco Systems, that are looking for help in developing team-building skills. The job guarantees excitement, advertising the encouraging slogan, “The Company that Laughs and Lasts!”

According to Andy Cheng, director of corporate and program operations, the staff consists of a core group of facilitators who travel from place to place hiring eligible staff to work for a day at a particular event.

“We’re looking for energetic students who are articulate and work well with others,” Cheng said.

According to Cheng, depending on when the company is in San Diego, students commit to working one day interacting with clients and helping to build team development skills and projects, earning $100 for a day’s work. To find out more, students can explore the Web site at http://www.teamdevelopment.com.

These jobs were originally posted on the Career Services Center Web site, http://career.ucsd.edu, a wonderful resource and smart starting place for students in search of the perfect job.

Craig Schmidt, associate director of Career Services, is one of many counselors available to students for walk-in and scheduled appointments. According to Schmidt, there are many jobs available that specifically fit the needs of a busy college student looking for a high-paying, easy-going position.

“We often list tutoring jobs in many subjects that are very flexible in terms of hours and typically pay $8 to $10 per hour,” Schmidt said.

Schmidt also mentioned after-school program leader positions, which could be advantageous for students interested in education, recreation or social services.

In-home services also have flexible hours and pay $10-plus per hour; product demonstrators are paid close to $15 per hour; and campus representatives for major corporations are paid well, with flexible hours.

Above all, Schmidt emphasizes the importance of Career Portfolio, a new online service which allows students to store resumes, writing samples, course lists and skill sets, which can then be reviewed by prospective employers. Port Triton, another CSC service, lists job and internship openings.

“Students should be encouraged to check our Port Triton job portal to find job listings targeted at UCSD students, both on and off campus,” Schmidt said.

To access Port Triton, students can click on the Port Triton link on the Career Services Center Web site. (Students must register first.) The Career Service Center’s hours for 15-minute walk-in counseling appointments are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. and Wednesday 1:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. To schedule a longer appointment, call (858) 534-3750.