A.S. Council at a Glance

A.S. Meeting #13 — Nov 17, 2004

Items of Immediate Consideration

Item G

The council passed a resolution expressing its support for continued A.S. oversight of student co-ops. Under the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding, which governs the structure of the co-ops, Associated Students must vote annually on the extension of oversight. In the resolution, the council maintains that the co-ops are operating in the best interest of the students and support continued A.S. oversight for another year.

Reports

President Jenn Pae

Pae reported that members of the A.S. Council met with Sen. Jackie Speier (D-San Francisco/San Mateo) on Nov. 16 to discuss issues concerning UCSD students. Among the topics discussed were the reprioritization of higher education in the state budget, the proposed cuts in student outreach and the rising price of housing in many of the areas surrounding UC campuses.

Pae also reported that she will be attending the UC Board of Regents meeting on Nov. 18 and speaking during public input. She will address the increase of tuition and the cuts in financial aid for students.

Revelle Senior Senator Ted McCombs

McCombs reported that the Revelle College Council passed a resolution in support of increased cultural diversity through student-initiated outreach. According to McCombs, this resolution was passed in response to complaints filed against the Warren College Student Council after it funded the Asian and Pacific-Islander Student Alliance high school conference. The complaint alleged that the council violated its bylaws, which require events to benefit Earl Warren College students in order to receive funding from the council.

Vice President External Rigo Marquez

Marquez reported that the annual Students of Color Conference will take place Nov. 19 to Nov. 21 at UCLA. The conference features workshops and speakers that address issues affecting students of color in higher education institutions across California. To sign up for the conference, students can visit http://www.socc2004.net.

New Business

Item G

In the upcoming week, the council will discuss the creation of a committee to examine the possibility of merging A.S. Lecture Notes and A.S. Soft Reserves. The programs are currently two separate enterprises run by Associated Students as an aid for students.

Announcements

John Muir College Junior Senator Neil Spears announced that UCSD raised more money for AIDS Walk San Diego than any other college or university. Spears thanked everyone who participated in the walk for their support.

Inter-College Residents’ Association Representative Kevin Belanger announced that Nov. 18 is National Smokeout Day, which is dedicated to help people stop smoking. Literature on the dangers of smoking and how to stop smoking will be passed out on Library Walk. In addition, the General Store Co-op will not sell cigarettes on Nov. 18 in honor of the day.

— Compiled by Patrick Allen

Senior Staff Writer