Women take second at NCAA Regionals

The Triton women’s cross country team showed what it was made of at the NCAA Division II West Regional Meet on Nov. 6 at Western Washington University in Bellingham, Wash. UCSD placed an impressive second out of 19 teams, qualifying the team for the NCAA Division II National Cross Country Championships, on Nov. 20 in Evansville, Ind.

Junior Michelle DiMeo and senior Lindsay Stalker both ran outstanding races on the 6,000-meter course, crossing the finish line at 23 minutes, 42 seconds and 23:43, respectively. With their 11th- and 12th-place finishes, they earned the UCSD team All-West Region honors. Close behind the duo was senior Mimi Hodgins, who crossed the line in 21st-place with a time of 24:09.

Chico State, placing first overall, had four runners in the top 10, with a total score of 49 points. UCSD was not too far behind with 96 total points. Alaska Anchorage and Seattle Pacific, the third and fourth place teams, respectively, had 168 and 172 points, respectively.

As a result of their excellent performances, the women’s team will go to Nationals at Southern Indiana University on Nov. 20 for the third consecutive season. The cross country team came in 17th place in 2002, and 16th place last year, which they hope to improve upon this season.

The men’s team ran in the 10,000-meter race at Bellingham. Senior Robert Eaps earned All-West Region honors as the first UCSD finisher, in 14th place with a time of 33:37. Close behind were junior Carl Lostrom and freshman Abdullah Jamali in 26th and 30th places, respectively, with times of 34:24 and 34:29.

Despite an impressive finish compared to last season’s 15th place, the Triton men were not able to advance to the NCAA finals after being pushed out of third place by Seattle Pacific, who outscored them 143 points to 154 points.

$2515
    $5000