Triton women trample Division II opposition at 13th Annual Triton Cross Country Classic

Junior Mimi Hodgins eluded her NCAA Division II competition again, taking first place for the Triton women’s cross country team at the 13th Annual Triton Cross Country Classic on Oct. 9 and leading her team to a first place finish among California Collegiate Athletic Association opposition. The men’s team rounded out its scoring in second place among Division II competition. This was the only home cross country event to take place at UCSD during the 2004 season.

The women’s team rallied to take first place in its seven-team division, and fifth overall in the 28-team field on the 6,000-meter course.

Hodgins crossed the finish line in 23 minutes, 7.4 seconds, finishing first among her Division II opponents and 11th overall among competitors, including runners from 11 Division I schools.

Freshman Jessica Laslovich followed Hodgins with a time of 23:58.0, earning her fourth place in Division II and 28th place overall. Close behind her was junior Erin O’Donnell, finishing fifth in Division II and 30th overall with a time of 24:03.9.

Rounding out the top-five scorers on the women’s side were sophomore Tina Firouz, taking seventh place in Division II with her time of 24:25.5, and junior Lindsey Young, who finished in 10th place at 24:39.9.

The men’s team ran an impressive 8,000-meter race, coming up second in Division II, only 42 seconds behind first-place Concordia University, and placing fourth overall out of a 20-team field.

Junior Carl Lostrom led the way, finishing in a time of 26:36.5, landing him in 10th place overall and third in his division. Not far back was junior Chris Beetly-Hagler, finishing fourth in the division and 16th overall, arriving at 26:49.0. Freshman Mitch Steves finished 35th overall and ninth in the division with a time of 27:23.8.

After three weeks of grueling competition, the Tritons will be taking this week off. Their next race will be held Oct. 23 at the CCAA Championships in Chino Hills, Calif.

$2515
    $5000