Cityshuttle should return to later schedule

As college students in our prime, it’s unusual for us to sleep before the wee hours of the morning; consequently, many of the student activities and performances — from Fall Fest to concerts in Mandeville Auditorium — happen at night, beginning as late as 8 p.m. and often ending close to midnight.

Unfortunately, since the beginning of this year, the school-operated Cityshuttle, which commutes from Mandeville Auditorium to University Towne Center, has only run until 11 p.m., an hour earlier than in previous years. Because the change in schedule was not adequately advertised, many students hoping to catch the shuttle after Fall Fest were stranded and forced to arrange for alternative transportation at the last minute.

For the many students who live in the university or UTC area, the schedule change spells bad news and could lead to either fewer students attending late-night on-campus activities or more students driving their cars to campus, which would further exacerbate the campus’ parking problem.

If nothing else, UCSD Transportation and Parking Services should work more closely with the A.S. Programming office and the University Events office to extend the shuttle schedule when large events — such as Fall Fest — are taking place on campus, so that students have a convenient public transportation option. Such a move would not only encourage students to attend but also free parking spaces for students who live on campus and reduce traffic.

$2515
    $5000