Hiatus Calendar

Thursday (29)

Continuing what seems to be an ongoing throwback to the 1980s is stellastarr*. Based out of New York City, the band infuses the sounds of some of the great bands of yesteryear (Joy Division, the Cure, the Pixies) to create their own, more modern twist on the sounds of the 1980s. stellastarr* play with the Killers and the Evening at the Casbah at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $12. For more information, call (619) 232-4355.

Friday (30)

Look up “southern rock” in the dictionary, and you’re bound to find a mention of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Best known for their down-south anthem “Sweet Home Alabama” as well as “Free Bird,” a song about the late Duane Allman, Lynyrd Skynyrd are the quintessential Southern rock band. After a string of hit albums, the band faced tragedy in 1977 when a small plane carrying the band members crashed, killing Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines. Ten years after the crash, the remaining members reformed the band with Ronnie’s brother, Johnny Van Zant, and continued to release albums. Most recently, the band released Vicious Cycle. The band plays at the Park at Viejas Outlet Center at 8 p.m. Tickets are $45. For more information, call (619) 445-5400.

Saturday (1)

The 31st annual Adams Avenue Roots Festival is a celebration of roots music. The concept of “root music” emerged in the mid-1980s. Roots music embodied the forms of music that contributed to our modern forms of pop, rock and jazz. In past years, the festival has brought a wide variety of music to San Diego, featuring everything from traditional folk to Celtic music. This year, the festival will feature Tomcat Courtney, Robin Henkel and the American Folk Singers, among others. The festival is free and runs through May 2. For more information, call (619) 282-7329 or visit http://gothere.com/adamsave/

busassn/rootsfestival/2004.htm.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club got their start in 1995 when Robert Turner and Peter Hayes bonded over their love of early 1990s U.K. bands like My Bloody Valentine and the Stone Roses. After enlisting Nick Jago as their drummer, the band started performing together, debuting their noise pop-and-indie rock sound to audiences. With their signature reverb-heavy guitars, white noise and heavy beats, BRMC soon had a large following. Currently on tour behind their latest album, Take Them On, On Your Own, the band plays at Canes Bar & Grill at 8 p.m. The show is for ages 21 and up.

The Black Heart Procession are a different sort of indie-rock band. Based out of San Diego, the band’s music has been described as beautiful yet depressing; their lyrics tend to touch on the more melancholy side of human nature. Similar to funeral music, the band has a style eerily similar to neo-romantic poetry. The Black Heart Procession are on tour behind their latest album Amore Del Tropico. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. at the Casbah. Tickets are $12. For more information, call (619) 232-4355.

The classic tale of “Cinderella” and the glass slipper is being told through the graceful movements of ballet by the Southern California Youth Ballet. The cast features both professional and pre-professional dancers, all younger than 20. Seventeen-year-old Stephanie Maiorano is Cinderella, while Christion Smalley will be the prince. “Cinderella” will be performed at Poway Center for the Performing Arts through May 2. The show begins at 7 p.m. on May 1, and 2 p.m. on May 2. Tickets are $12 to $24. For more information, call (858) 748-0505.

Sunday (2)

Metal fans, sit up and pay attention. MTV2’s Headbangers Ball Tour is moshing its way to SOMA with Damageplan and headliner Hatebreed. Hatebreed, based out of New Haven, Conn., bring back the idea of thrash-metal with their screaming vocals and metallic guitars. Meanwhile, Damageplan features member of Pantera and are considered to be one of the top metal bands today. The show begins at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15. For more information, call (619) 226-7662.

Monday (3)

“If you’re feeling sinister/Go off and see a minister/He’ll try in vain to take away the pain of being a hopeless unbeliever.” If nothing else, Belle & Sebastian are one of the more innovative bands out there today. The band hails from Glasgow, Scotland, and has a sound that can best be described as folk-meets-1960s-pop. The seven-piece band has an idiosyncratic style and is confident about doing things the way they want to. Though only 1,000 copies of their first album Tigermilk were released, they soon gathered a huge following. Their success continued with several other albums that were big in both the United States as well as Europe, most recently Dear Catastrophe Waitress. Belle & Sebastian perform at Spreckels Theatre at 7 p.m. Tickets are $28.50.

Wednesday (5)

Head on over to the Gaslamp Quarter to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. The Quarter turns into a massive block party, with ice-cold margaritas, cervezas and Mexican food as well as live mariachi bands and Ballet Folklorico dancing. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 the day of the event. Ticketholders will pay no cover charge and will receive specials on food and drinks at many of the restaurants. The event is for ages 21 and up. Cinco in the Gaslamp begins at 5 p.m. and ends at midnight. For more information, call (619) 233-5008.

$2515
    $5000