UC’s willed body programs under ongoing investigation

UC President Robert C. Dynes recently named former Gov. George Deukmejian to lead a task force that will study the University of California’s willed body programs, which provides anatomical remains for medical student training.

The new task force was created in light of the recent investigation into the UCLA’s willed body program that distributes donated cadavers for medical research and education. Allegations were made that program officials had engaged in selling anatomical remains to outside parties.

Arrests made included program director Henry Reid on March 6 for allegedly accepting money to a nonaffiliate of UCLA. Both Reid and another employee, clinical director Keith Lewis, have been placed on unpaid leave. Ernest Nelson, a nonaffiliate of UCLA, was also arrested for knowingly receiving stolen property.

The task force will review operations at the different willed body programs at UC campuses, including UCSD. The task force also intends to hold a public hearing in the summer to receive comments from experts and those who have concerns about the program.

According to a press release from the UC Office of the President, systemwide guidelines will be developed in order to ensure that the wishes of donors will be met. The task force is also expected to report its findings to Dynes before the end of the year.

“The willed body programs are a valuable component of our teaching mission, and the families of those who gift their bodies to benefit science deserve to know that every safeguard has been put in place to make sure that their remains are treated with dignity and respect,” Dynes said in a statement released on March 18.

Reid is being charged with felony grand theft and is scheduled to appear in court on March 30. The investigation has also prompted school officials to suspend the willed body program at UCLA on March 9 after a temporary restraining order was filed by Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner Bruce E. Mitchelle. However, cadavers currently being used in labs to teach medical students will remain available for the rest of the year.

Meanwhile, police are continuing the investigation.

“The extensive investigation of the willed body program continues,” said UCPD spokesperson Nancy Greenstein. “The details of the investigation and related proceedings remain confidential. UCPD cannot comment on specific actions at this time.”

UCLA Chancellor Albert Carnesale also made a statement to the UC Board of Regents during its March 18 meeting regarding the arrests. According to Carnesale, several actions have been taken by the school to look into the problem and provide services for families who have been affected.

“Officials responsible for the willed body program at UCLA thought that the policies and practices governing the program were adequate to protect against improper use of the bodies placed in our trust,” Carnesale said. “They were not. Intensive investigations are underway to determine how the alleged criminal activities avoided early detection and what must be done to ensure that despicable acts of this kind will not happen again.”

Carnesale told the Regents that the UCLA Audit and Advisory Services is also investigating further violations of university policies and assisting the police department in evaluating evidence. The Audit and Advisory Services is also currently performing an inventory of donated cadavers. Additionally, the school has also created telephone and e-mail hotlines to receive inquiries from family members of donors.

“The list of actions is neither exhaustive nor final,” Carnesale said. “We are determined to identify all individuals associated with violations of law or policy involving the willed body program, and see that they are punished appropriately.”

The willed body program at UCLA receives an average of 175 donations a year. Human cadavers are used to develop procedures and facilitate training for surgeons.