There’s still time to run for A.S. Council

The California recall election, with its field of 135 candidates, got at least one thing right.

Everyone should have a chance to run for office.

At UCSD, this means every interested undergraduate should take the plunge and run for an A.S. Council position. Last year, the dismal pool of candidates resulted in a heap of largely unqualified slate-fillers running unopposed for their positions and, in at least one instance, an open position with no candidates at all.

Let’s not let that happen again. In a school of 24,000 undergraduates, it should not be too difficult to find 25 students willing to make a difference. And with the new runoff voting system, independents might have a fighting chance. In a close race, an independent candidate may not win outright, but could still make the runoff.

This year’s appointed — not elected — commissioners and Vice President Finance Eric Webster’s success proves that apolitical independent candidates can make effective officers.

Make this the year UCSD’s elections return to the democratic process we had three years ago: four large slates, dozens of candidates and a clean election with no disqualifications. The filing deadline is March 1 at noon. Candidate packets are available from the A.S. secretary on the third floor of Price Center.

$2515
    $5000