Brit rockers Travis come to town

As January comes to a close, the boys of Travis will bring their heartfelt rock songs to San Diego. If you missed Radiohead or Coldplay, then you better grab a ticket and be prepared for that misty-eyed performance that you’ve been craving.

Courtesy of Epic Records

Rising from the streets of Glasgow, Ireland, in 1996, Travis was quickly scooped up by Andy McDonald’s up-and-coming record label, Independiente Records. After its first record Good Feeling was released, Travis began to create a small buzz in the world of music. Drawing from Oasis and Radiohead, Travis’ first album didn’t set them apart from other British rock Œn’ roll acts because they lacked a signature sound.

This sound was beautifully displayed on their sophomore record, The Man Who. Carried by brilliant song writing and simple clean tones, The Man Who thrusts Travis into the media spotlight. A full schedule of touring ensued and Travis soon gained a reputation as one of the best live acts around. The single “”Why Does it Always Rain on Me?”” gave them a top-ten hit in the UK and made the album one of the biggest surprises of the summer of 1999.

After taking on the always-difficult follow-up record, Travis broke through to American listeners with The Invisible Band. Songs like “”Sing and Side”” reached American Billboard charts and gave Travis that often-unattainable universal appeal. Breaking away from comparisons to Radiohead, Travis inspired a new wave of UK bands, Coldplay and Starsailor being the most successful in continuing Travis’ tradition of chart-topping acoustic rock.

Travis faced its toughest challenge in 2002, when drummer Neil Primrose seriously injured his spine in a diving accident. Primrose was forced to undergo surgery to repair damaged vertebrae and it was a possibility that he would be unable to walk again. After making a miraculous recovery, Primrose was able to rejoin the band in the studio to record its fourth album, 12 Memories. Singer/songerwriter Francis Healy explored the darker side of his talents on 12 Memories and was able to create a haunting and brilliant sound. Although the album at times lacks the effortlessness that made the past records so enjoyable, Travis was able to expand its sound and build off its previous efforts. If you disliked Travis’ new sound, the band always plays a heavy dose of its classic songs at concerts so be prepared for a show that is as light and dark as all four of its records.

Travis will play at Spreckels Theatre on Jan. 31.