A.S. Council at a Glance

Matt Barrs

Meeting #14

January 7, 2004

Items of Immediate Consideration

Item B

The A.S. Council tabled indefinitely a $125 allocation for an all-campus dance planned by the council¹s freshman senators.

Councilmembers raised concerns about the appropriateness of drawing funds from the college level all-campus programming fund, which is meant for campus organizations to put on programs for the campus at large. Also at issue was the incomplete budget for the dance.

The allocation was tabled indefinitely with a vote of 9-7-4.

Later in the meeting, Commissioner of Programming Alex Kushner announced that if the band scheduled for the Buzz concert on Jan. 23 is not able to perform, the Programming Office would help to fund the dance.

Reports

President Jeremy Paul Gallagher

Gallagher reported that the quarterly recreation fee will increase by $5 beginning Fall 2004. The referendum, which originally authorized the fee, allows for an increase every five years to compensate for inflation.

Vice President Finance Eric Webster

Webster reported that the Finance Office will no longer endorse allocations from the general unallocated fund due to the fund¹s current balance of about $200.

Commissioner of Programming Alex Kushner

Kushner reported that Porter¹s Pub is now offering ³College Night² on Thursdays from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Discounted food and drinks as well as a DJ will be provided and all students are welcome.

Kushner also announced that Flogging Molly and Area 51 will perform on Jan. 9 at 8 p.m. in Price Center Plaza. The concert is free to UCSD students.

Eleanor Roosevelt College Sophomore Senator Max Harrington

Harrington reported that a free showing of the movie ³Office Space² will take place on Jan. 13 at 9 p.m. in Plaza Cafe. While the event is geared for Revelle College residents, all students are welcome to free popcorn and encouraged to wear pajamas at the event.

Council Caucus

The council discussed problems with the implementation of instant runoff voting on StudentLink for next quarter¹s A.S. elections. According to Eleanor Roosevelt College Junior Senator Carol Freire, StudentLink programmers have reported that they will not be able to integrate IRV into the system in time for the elections.

A straw poll taken during the discussion revealed strong council support for the use of IRV this year, even if paper ballots must be used.

David Goodwin, chair of student council of Eleanor Roosevelt College, said that the A.S. Council should not ³roll over² and accept the infeasibility of IRV implementation.

Other possible solutions mentioned by councilmembers included using free open source code for the IRV system, hiring a third-party company to conduct the election and pressuring the university administration to prioritize the implementation of IRV on StudentLink.

Old Business

Item B

The A.S. Council approved the All-Campus Commuter Board charter by consensus. The new board will serve as an umbrella organization for college-level commuter associations, advocate for the needs of commuter students and publish a bi-quarterly newsletter to students who live off-campus.

‹ Compiled by Neil Spears

Senior Staff Writer

Meeting #14

January 7, 2004

Items of Immediate Consideration

Item B

The A.S. Council tabled indefinitely a $125 allocation for an all-campus dance planned by the council¹s freshman senators. Council members raised concerns about the appropriateness of drawing funds from the college level all-campus programming fund, which is meant for campus organizations to put on programs for the campus at large. Also at issue was the incomplete budget for the dance.

Reports

President Jeremy Paul Gallagher

Vice President Finance Eric Webster

Kushner also announced that Flogging Molly will perform on Jan. 9 at 8 p.m. in Price Center Plaza. The concert is free to UCSD students.

Council Caucus

Other possible solutions mentioned by council members included using free open source code for the IRV system, hiring a third-party company to conduct the election and pressuring the university administration to prioritize the implementation of IRV on StudentLink.

Old Business

Item B

$2515
    $5000