Categories:

Ledden passes away

Patrick J. Ledden, provost of John Muir College and UCSD mathematics professor, died on Oct. 28 at Thornton Hospital at the age of 67 after a long battle with stomach cancer.

As both an educator and administrator, Ledden incorporated himself in activities that influenced all aspects of UCSD student life. He assumed the post of second provost for Muir college in 1987.

“”[Ledden was] a man who went over and beyond the normal means of his position,”” Assistant Resident Dean Ebonie Rayford said.

Ledden worked to socialize students and faculty by arranging recurring literary luncheons inviting both student and staff to Sierra Summit and other dining places.

“”He was such a vivacious person,”” Muir Resident Dean Pat Danylyshyn-Adams said. “”His love for the students always made him involved in the activities on campus. He would come to participate in programs, and play pool with the students.””

According to Danylyshyn-Adams, students liked talking to Ledden because he was “”very down-to-earth”” and would invite him into their dorms to chat.

“”Provost Ledden always wanted to know what was going on with the residents, how they were, who they were,”” she said. “”He was such an amazing man because he showed a genuine interest in the students.””

Ledden participated in the development of UCSD’s Stuart Art Collection, an assortment of 15 outdoor statues scattered about campus, and encouraged interdisciplinary studies, such as critical gender studies and environmental studies.

“”He was so involved and very imaginative,”” Acting Provost and literary professor Susan Kirkpatrick said. “”[The interdisciplinary] programs were still very small back in the early 1990s. Then, Provost Ledden provided staff support, and now they are major programs.””

Though a mathematician by profession, Ledden expressed his love for literature, especially that of James Joyce, by teaching an upper division seminar on Joyce in the Department of Literature and organizing daylong readings of Joyce’s novels at UCSD Bookstore.

“”He was committed to education,”” Kirkpatrick said. “”He could do it all.””

Organizing meetings between distinguished professors and junior faculty, Ledden “”believed that sharing views and getting a dialogue going is what makes a university what a university is supposed to be,”” said history professor Paul Pickowicz, a friend of more than 30 years.

“”He was a great networker, setting up get-togethers for newer faculty with those administrators higher up in the system,”” Kirkpatrick said. “”When I took his position as associate chancellor, he worked beside me and mentored me for the first two months. He invented the job of assistant chancellor and we all just follow in his example. I consider him a very wise advisor.””

Ledden even had admirers among the highest-ranking officials of the UC system, including former UCSD Chancellor and UC President Richard C. Atkinson.

“”When I arrived as chancellor in 1980, he became my closest associate and friend and his assistance was absolutely critical,”” Atkinson said in a statement. “”He was dedicated to his students and deeply focused on the university’s academic program. His death is a great loss to the university and to me personally.””

UC Regent Peter Preuss shared Atkinson’s sentiments.

“”Pat Ledden spent over 30 years relentlessly making the university what it is today, while at the same time leaving behind so many friends in the community,”” Preuss said.

Because he played such an active role in the student life on campus, Ledden will be deeply missed by his students as well as his colleagues.

“”He lit up the room with his presence because he just had this charm about him,”” John Muir College sophomore Shari Soll said. “”When I was still deciding whether to attend UCSD or not in April 2001, Provost Ledden gave this speech that was so touching. He had this wit that was so funny yet so endearing. I wanted to go to this school that this man was so passionate for. He embodied the Muir spirit. [He was] a truly amazing man. He will be deeply missed.””

Currently, Kirkpatrick assumes the temporary role of acting provost. There is no present search for a permanent provost.

A private funeral service is planned. The university will hold a memorial service in January.

$2515
$5000