Chandler appointed interim chancellor

Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Marsha A. Chandler was designated UCSD acting chancellor following the appointment of current Chancellor Robert C. Dynes as president of the University of California beginning Oct. 2. Chandler was confirmed by the UC Regents at their Sept. 17-18 meeting.

Chandler will serve as chancellor for a period not to exceed one year, during which a search for a new chancellor will be conducted.

ìIt is an honor to assume the role of acting chancellor at a time of major challenges and also substantial opportunities,î Chandler said following her appointment. ìThe idea of being asked to guide one of the top universities in the nation is a terrific feeling.î

The UCís top administrators expressed support for Chandlerís appointment.

ìMarsha Chandler is an outstanding scholar and an exceptional administrator,î stated UC President Richard C. Atkinson, who is retiring in October after eight years as president. ìPresident-designate Dynes and I greatly appreciate Dr. Chandlerís willingness to take on this important responsibility. We know she will do an excellent job.î

Substantial state budget cuts coupled with record enrollment levels will provide extra challenges for Chandler.

ìFor our campus and the UC system, this is an extraordinarily challenging period that will demand thoughtful and wise decisions by our leadership team,î Dynes said. ìMarsha is a dynamic leader who has the vision, experience and judgment to guide the campus and ensue that UCSD maintains its remarkable momentum.î

According to Chandler, ensuring that the quality of programs and recruitment of undergraduates, graduates, faculty and staff ìis not impeded by what will be serious belt-tighteningî is key to her strategy of weathering tough economic times.

In the next few weeks, a search committee chaired by Dynes will be convened to search the nation for prospective chancellors. The panel will include regents, faculty, students, alumni, foundation and staff representatives.

The search committee is expected to announce the top candidate in early spring.

When asked if she would be seeking the permanent chancellorship, Chandler responded, ìWeíll see what happens as the process unfolds.î

Chandler sees the recent expansion of programs at UCSD as an opportunity for even more growth.

ìI think one of the biggest things that will shape our future will be the continuing expansion of Cal-(IT)2, our science and technology institute, thatís offering lots of opportunities in the sciences and engineering and indeed even across into the humanities and social sciences,î Chandler said.

Serving as UCSDís chief academic officer for the past seven years, Chandler has been integrally involved in education across the entire campus. However, she said that ìoneís education at the university is not just what happens in the classroom.î

ìI donít want to sound like Iím the agent for student organizations, but I think itís true that one really needs to get involved,î Chandler said. ìI also think it helps to organize your time.î

Chandler is looking forward to the opportunities to interact with staff, faculty, students and the external community that her new post provides.

A well-published scholar of public policy and organizational behavior, Chandler received her bachelor of arts degree from the College of the City of New York and her Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina.

Beginning in 1977, Chandler worked her way up the ranks as a professor at the University of Toronto. From 1986 to 1990, she served as chair of the universityís political science department. In 1990, Chandler became dean of the faculty of art and science prior to coming to UCSD in 1997.

A recipient of numerous awards and honors, Chandler was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, the most distinguished academic honor for scholars in Canada, in 1995. She also received an honorary Doctor of Laws from the University of Toronto in 2003.

David Miller, associate vice chancellor for academic planning and resources, has been tapped to fill the vacancy created by Chandlerís promotion. Miller, a member of the UCSD faculty since 1966, will serve as acting senior vice chancellor of academic affairs beginning Oct. 2.

$2515
    $5000