Seven Triton rowers to leave

The UCSD women’s crew team will graduate seven seniors this year, four of whom have been rowing varsity for four years. Morgan Dawirs, Claire Doyle, Emily Gray and Sara Patton are four-year varsity rowers. Amber Hopkins is a three-year varsity rower, Amanda Shirley is a two-year varsity rower and Bryn Moser joined crew this year.

Courtesy of UCSD Athletics

“”They have all made contributions to the current strength of the program,”” said Triton head coach Patti Pinkerton. “”Morgan, Claire, Emily and Sara have seen huge changes to the program over the four years they have been here.””

Gray is distinguished as one of the most accomplished rowers on the team. She has been co-captain of the team for two years and, according to Pinkerton, has been “”the top athlete”” of the team ever since her sophomore year.

Two out of the three years before this season, Gray was voted most inspirational rower. In 2002, she was the only non-national team rower to be named to the U.S. Rowing Collegiate Honor Roll. Last year, she was also named to the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association Division II First Team All-American, and Pinkerton predicts she will be named to the team again this year. For the past three years, Gray has been a Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association Athlete Scholar. In addition to these achievements, Gray has also won many Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association and Pacific Coast Rowing Conference championships and medals over the years. In the fall, she will continue her education at UCSD’s medical school.

Doyle started her rowing career as a lightweight and won several awards in her first two years. However, for the past two years, she has occupied the coxswain seat. Her sophomore year, Doyle was named the most improved varsity rower and has won many of the team’s Heart and Hustle Awards. This season, she has been nominated for the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association D-II All-American Team, which will be announced June 1.

“”Her contribution to the boat in terms of passion and the ability to get the crew to rise above themselves is legendary,”” Pinkerton said. “”I rely a lot on her feedback about what is going on in the boat and her insight into the workings of the squad.””

Dawirs has made an impact as one of the most dedicated and supportive rowers on women’s crew. For four years, she has helped with recruiting and filled almost every position in the boat as a utility rower. Dawirs has worked hard to recover from two knee operations to be able to row with the varsity eight this year. She has also received the Heart and Hustle Award for several years.

Patton has been a co-captain for the past two years. In 2001, Patton was named to the CRCA Second Team All-American. For the past two years, Patton has been a CRCA athlete scholar and will be one again this year. With one of the highest GPAs in the athletic department, Patton will attend graduate school for engineering in the fall.

“”Sara is one of those gifted athletes who are good athletes in their own right, but who inspire athletes around them to be better,”” Pinkerton said.

Hopkins transferred to UCSD and joined the crew team three years ago. She was voted most inspirational novice, and later set the school record in the 2000- meter ERG . Last year, Hopkins made history, becoming the first UCSD woman to win the San Diego Indoor Classic.

Shirley transferred to UCSD two years ago from Humboldt State, where she also rowed. She has been the team’s small-boat specialist in her time as a Triton. Last season, she helped her varsity four boat win the Grand Canyon Games.

“”Her calm outlet and personality always settled the team,”” Pinkerton said. “”I would dub her the quiet achiever.””

Moser joined the team this year as a senior and worked hard to earn a spot on the junior varsity eight. She continued to work hard and improved “”dramatically over the spring.””

“”It takes courage to take up a new sport as a senior and stick it out,”” Pinkerton said.

$2515
    $5000