Crowd-pleasers Kinky get the kids moving

Want to hear something more than just rap and punk at this year’s Sun God? Be sure to check out Kinky for something new and fresh.

Courtesy of Kinky/BMG

Kinky consists of five friends: Gilberto Cerezo (vocals, guitar and scratches); Ulises Lozano (keyboard, programming and vocals); Carlos Chairez (guitar and vocals); Omar Gongora (drums, percussion, vocals); and Ceaser Pilego (bass and vocals), who knew each other for years in their small hometown of Monterrey, Mexico. First formed in 1998, the band eventually caught the ear of U.K. music producer Chris Allison (known best for his work with Coldplay) in 1999, with their demo track “”San Antonio.””

After encouragement from Allison to keep producing music, Kinky went on to play the Battle of the Bands in New York at the Latin Alternative Music Conference in August 2000, winning the contest for outstanding unsigned Latin-American band. After this win, Allison signed Kinky to Sonic360, his London-based label. The band went on to produce their debut, self-titled album.

Since their debut, the band has toured all over, building a reputation and making a name for themselves; in 2001, the band toured in Columbia, France, Mexico and England.

Kinky goes beyond the usual Shakira/Ricky Martin style of Latin music. Mixing electronic beats with alternative music, the band provides beats and rhythms that get you dancing within 10 seconds of the song’s introduction. The trumpets, bass and drum beats in their music won’t have you sitting still for very long. While their name may be Kinky, their lyrics actually consist of innocent love. Take for example, “”Soun Tha Mi Primer Amor”” which translates to “”You’re My First Love”” — singing about your first love is not exactly kinky. Although they sing of puppy love and aspects of Monterrey life, the lyrics are still wildly infectious.

Kinky is well known for putting on amazing shows. Various reviews rave about the bands ability to get even the blandest person up and dancing in a matter of minutes. The band truly entertains a crowd. Rather than just playing the instruments, the band involves themselves with the audience, swapping instruments at random, and truly getting involved with the music they’re playing, giving each song new meaning and life.

So, if you’re in the mood to shake your hips and dance, be sure to check out Kinky at Sun God.

$2515
    $5000