Surprise: 'Day Care' is not half bad

Watching the trailer for “”Daddy Daycare,”” you’d think that it was another typical comedy with Eddie Murphy and generic jokes. After watching it, though, the film doesn’t seem half-bad. It does have its low points, but surprisingly, it is a decent movie to entertain you after yet another consuming week at UCSD.

Courtesy of Columbia Pictures

Charlie (Eddie Murphy) and Phil (Jeff Garlin) are so busy with their high profile advertising jobs that they are completely missing out on the joys of fatherhood. Due to some unfortunate accidents, however, their kids provide them with a crash course in child rearing with hilarious results. Garlin and Murphy introduce the standard, expected slapstick humor to the film that rarely makes you smile. The plot is slightly generic and even predictable from the minute the film starts.

However, “”Daddy Daycare”” is worth watching, simply to see what a neurotic bunch of children characters the writers can come up with. Each child is different, and every one is a challenge, whether he’s suffering from a sugar rush, fantasizing about being a super hero or just demolishing everything in sight. Some of the more psychotic kids play their parts so convincingly, you just can’t help but wonder whether they draw some inspiration from daily life. Funnier still are the odd assortment of parents, and the complete witch Anjelica Huston plays in the role of a snobby schoolmistress. If anything, this film acts as a safe-sex banner.

Overall, “”Daddy Daycare”” is a good movie to watch with your younger sibling or simply to entertain yourself without overworking the brain. It is very lighthearted, but mostly just another comedy. It is expected to cater more to families; don’t expect to see many UCSD students in the audience. However, if you just have to watch the film, save it for a rental — it is hardly worth sitting next to noisy kids and their even noisier parents.

Daddy Day Care

***

Starring Eddie Murphy, Jeff Garlin and Anjelica Huston

In theaters May 9

Rated PG

$2515
    $5000