Men's basketball will miss lone senior

Although the UCSD men’s basketball team will be losing only one senior this year, Jody Woods, it will definitely feel the impact of this loss.

Jody Woods
    Men’s basketball

“”Jody was a good influence to have around the guys all season,”” said UCSD head coach Bill Lanthier.

Woods, who had shown amazing promise after his first season at UCSD, was out injured his senior year, but continued to be an active participant, watching games from the bench and cheering on his teammates during practice.

“”It was really unfortunate he was unable to play his senior year,”” Lanthier said.

Woods transferred to UCSD from the College of the Desert in Des Moines, Iowa, for the 2001-02 season.

During his first season with the Tritons, he led the team with 169 total rebounds. He was also second in scoring, averaging 9.8 points per game, totaling 284 on the season.

Even though a knee injury only allowed him to play in four games this season, Woods still tried to help the Tritons any way he could.

“”He was always being funny, trying to keep guys loose. He would find a way to keep things in perspective. As one of the older members of the team, he was really a role model to the younger guys,”” said fellow teammate Sean Crawford.

Woods had a lasting influence on the team.

“”We are going to miss Jody,”” Lanthier said. It’s not hard to understand why the team would miss Woods, who shot close to 50 percent in 2001-02 conference games.

$2515
    $5000