UCSD golf team hosts tournament

UCSD men’s golf hosted a field of 16 teams from Division I, Division II and Division III, and the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, including local schools USD, Point Loma Nazarene and SDSU. The Tritons entered both an A and a B team in the event that took place on March 10 and March 11 at the Santaluz Club in Del Mar.

Tyler Huff

“”Santaluz was designed by Rees Jones, nicknamed the ‘Open Doctor,’ who recently remolded Torrey Pines,”” said head coach Mike Wydra. “”It is a very good, very challenging course that we are hoping to make our permanent home course.””

In the team rankings, UCSD’s B team, which consisted of sophomore golfers Joe Dolby and Eugene Itkin, freshman Justin Grant, junior Brian Duckworth and senior Blake Schneider placed third overall with a score of 891, 39 over par. The B team shot rounds of 291, 303 and 297 across the two days.

UCSD’s A team, consisting of junior Alan Scheer, freshman Robbie Kramer, junior Galen Farris, junior Jan Godoski and freshman Ryo Yamada, shot a 905, giving them a tie for sixth place with Tennessee-Chattanooga. The A team’s round totals were 309, 310 and 298, for a 53-over-par finish.

“”In my 24 years of coaching the golf team, I’ve never seen anything like this,”” Wydra said in response to the B team scoring better than the A team. “”This just shows how extremely deep our team is. If we had combined our top golfer’s scores from each team, we would have finished with a lower score than Colorado Springs.””

SDSU’s golfers had the lowest total score, grabbing the top four positions, but because its golfers were entered as individuals rather than a team, they weren’t able to claim first place.

The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs took first place as a result, shooting rounds of 295, 302 and the tournament-low 288 for a total of 885, 33 over par. USD placed second with its round scores of 298, 292 and 297, for an 887.

Redlands came in fourth with rounds of 301, 299 and 300, for an even 900, 48 over par. Loyola Marymount took fifth, shooting 304, 298 and 301, for a total of 903, 51 over par.

La Verne finished eighth with a total of 908. Pennsylvania scored a 918, putting it in ninth place. Point Loma’s A team took 10th place with a total of 922.

California Lutheran scored 925 to finish 11th place. With rounds of 315, 306 and 312, Claremont College scored a 933 and came in 12th. CSU Monterey Bay posted a 946 and 13th place.

Pomona-Pitzer College came in 14th and CSU Dominguez Hills shot a 952 for 15th place. Point Loma’s B team rounded out the 16.

Individually, the Tritons were led by the B team’s Dolby, whose rounds of 70, 76 and 70 gave him a 216, 3 over par for the tourney and a tie for fifth place. Fellow B team member Itkin’s rounds of 74, 71 and 73 gave him a 218, 3 over par and tied for seventh place.

A-team golfers Scheer and Kramer came next, tying at 225, 12 over par. Scheer shot rounds of 76, 75 and 74, while Kramer shot 77, 73 and 75. Fellow A-squad member Farris rounded out the top five by shooting a total of 226.

Grant of the B team came next with rounds of 75, 76 and 78 for a total of 229, 16 over par. Duckworth of the B team shot rounds of 75, 80 and 76, while Godoski of the A team shot 81, 75 and 75, to give them a tie at 231, 18 over par.

Schneider was the B team’s fifth golfer, shooting rounds of 72, 80 and 83, giving him a 235. Yamada came in fifth for the A team with a total score of 237, 24 over par.

$2515
    $5000