The Vaginia Monologues Returns to UCSD on V-Day

As you may have heard, “”The Vagina Monologues”” are coming to UCSD. “”The Vagina Monologues,”” an Obie Award-winning play by Eve Ensler, has become a huge cultural phenomenon that has spread throughout the world. The concept of the play? As the official Web site, http://www.vaginamonologues.com, says, it “”explores the humor, power, pain, wisdom, outrage, mystery and excitement hidden in vaginas.”” In 1998, after Ensler had toured through both small towns and arge cities, she heard stories from many women about their own experiences with violence. As a result, V-Day was formed.

V-Day is a global movement, and the main goal of this organization is to take action against violence toward women, such as rape, battery, incest, sexual slavery and female genital mutilation. V-Day is a non-profit organization that works hand-in-hand with “”The Vagina Monologues”” to raise awareness and funds for the organizations throughout the world that help stop violence against women. Each year, there is a specific target group to which V-Day donates money. For example, in 2002, the money went to women in Afghanistan, while this year, the funds are going to Native-American women. The script changes according to which group is being helped; for example, a piece titled “”Crooked Little Braid”” appears in this year’s script, about a Native-American woman who is battered by her husband. The topics that are covered in the performance, however, range from humorous to serious, and during the performance, local and national facts and statistics are given about violence. “”The Vagina Monologues”” is a non-profit performance, and all proceeds are donated to V-Day. The “”V”” in “”V-Day”” stands for victory, Valentine and vagina.

V-Day campaigns take place throughout the world, and are being supported by “”The Vagina Monologues”” in over 40 countries and over 160 cities within the United States and Canada. The play has featured such stars as Oprah Winfrey, Queen Latifah, Calista Flockhart, Julia Stiles, Brooke Shields and many others. Currently, over 1,000 productions are expected on college campuses, including one at UCSD. “”The Vagina Monologues”” will be on campus Feb. 12 and 14. Tickets are $9.00.

$2515
    $5000