Women's basketball earns split over weekend

Things are getting better for the UCSD women’s basketball team. A split of last weekend’s California Collegiate Athletic Association games gave the Tritons wins in three of their last four games and brought their record to 3-5 in the CCAA conference and 3-10 overall after an 0-9 start to the season.

Jake Mumm

On Jan. 17, the Tritons looked for their third straight victory when they played host to CSU San Bernardino at RIMAC arena, but a slow start put them behind early, and despite a late charge, the Tritons fell to the Coyotes 58-50.

“”We played very sluggish in the first half,”” said UCSD co-captain Nicholle Bromley, who had 10 points and five rebounds in the loss. “”It looked like we were moving in slow-motion out there.””

The Tritons, who failed to make a field goal until Lauren Sargent made a three-pointer with 8:50 remaining in the first half, shot 23 percent from the field in the first half and trailed 30-20 at the break. In the second half, UCSD cut the Coyotes’ lead to 53-50 with 3:29 remaining in the game. But that is as close as the Tritons would get, since the Coyotes made their free-throws down the stretch and held UCSD to no more points the rest of the way.

“”We made a good effort to come back in the second half,”” Ali Ginn said. “”But the first half was pretty ugly. We were more aggressive in the second half, but we need to learn how to play a full 40 minutes.””

Ginn paced the Triton scoring with 14 points. Stacy Gallagher-Bolton chipped in with eight points to go along with six rebounds.

“”We fought back [in the second half], and that shows the character of our team,”” Bromley said. “”But when we needed a score at the end, we just couldn’t get it.””

On Jan. 18, UCSD hosted two-time defending national champion Cal Poly Pomona. Against the 5-8 Broncos, the Tritons jumped out to an early lead and never looked back. After outscoring Cal Poly Pomona 35-20 in the first half, the Tritons cruised to a 71-63 win.

“”It’s always good to beat a team like [Cal Poly Pomona],”” said Bromley, who had 15 points and six rebounds in the Triton win. “”No matter what their record is, Cal-Poly Pomona is going to be tough. They’re a very physical team.””

The Broncos committed 25 fouls to the Tritons’ 16.

“”They were very athletic,”” said Ginn, who led all scorers with 23 points in the game to go along with seven rebounds. “”Their press gave us some problems, but we got some easy shots from it, too. We have to learn to keep attacking.””

Gallagher-Bolton had a game-high in rebounds with 13, and Margaret Johnson chipped in with 10 rebounds off the bench.

With the win, the Tritons improved their overall record to 3-5 in conference.

“”We got a very good week of practice,”” Ginn said. “”We’re really starting to up our practice intensity.””

With the added practice intensity, the UCSD has begun to roll.

“”Things are starting to come together,”” said Bromley, the only senior on the team. “”Our team chemistry is starting to rise and people are looking more confident in practice. Consistency will be the key.””

The Tritons have two more home games this weekend. On Jan. 24, Chico State University comes to RIMAC Arena for Spirit Night and UC Davis visits on Jan. 25. Both games tip off at 5:30 p.m.

$2515
    $5000