Men's volleyball opens season

The UCSD men’s volleyball team opened its season in less than impressive fashion, falling in three games to California Baptist University (30-25, 30-26, 30-25) on Jan. 10. The Tritons managed only a .110 attacking percentage and suffered from an inconsistent passing game, which ultimately led to their demise.

Jessica Horton

Making his first-ever start at setter, redshirt freshman Nate Jones led the Tritons to an early 4-0 lead in the first game, but the Lancers battled back. After tying the game at nine apiece, CBU hung close and the Tritons were unable to pull away. Just as it seemed UCSD might escape with a narrow victory — leading 21-18 — the Lancers called a timeout that propelled them to a 12-4 run and a 30-25 victory.

Game two featured much of the same, since neither team was able to mount more than a two-point lead for much of the match, but a late 8-4 Lancer run sealed the game.

A Triton squad that lacked energy throughout was unable to escape from the pattern of the previous two games in the third, and CBU’s Miguel Monterola crushed the last of UCSD’s hope with several key kills en route to his match-high 17.

Triton head coach Ron Larsen summarized his team’s feeling after the match with one word: frustration.

“”We felt that we could win,”” Larsen said. “”We can beat that team, but we didn’t execute.””

Outside hitter Eric Perrine — who was a lonely bright spot for UCSD with a team-high 14 kills, seven digs and six total blocks — blamed the team’s lack of offensive execution and concentration.

“”Our focus broke down. We’ve got to work together as a team,”” Perrine said. “”If we pass well we can run our offense.””

Passing was a key reason that the Tritons managed only 32 assists to the Lancers’ 42, and Larsen was quick to defend inexperienced setters Jones and Tye Thoreson.

“”I don’t think it’s fair to pick on the setters,”” he said. “”It made it tough on our setters because of our passing.””

Middle blocker Brian Foott, who lead the team with a .455 attacking percentage, noted his team’s lack of ability to string together rallies as another reason for the loss.

“”We didn’t flow, and we had no rhythm,”” he said. “”Our effort was there, but we didn’t roll on the big plays and carry the energy.””

With several weaknesses already becoming apparent, the Tritons will have their work cut out for them in the next couple days of practice before they travel to CSULB on Jan. 15 to open their Mountain Pacific Sports Federation schedule.

$2515
    $5000