Champions still pose a threat in 10th place

When Robert Horry ran his mouth over winter break, I wasn’t sure what to think.

“”One thing I guarantee: Before the end of January, we’ll be back above .500,”” Horry said.

Great. Just what we all needed: another so-called “”turning point”” in the dismal Lakers’ season that has fallen short of expectations and will fall short of the playoffs without an actual significantturnaround.

But maybe Horry’s words, like his playoff three-pointers, came just in time for the (as of Jan. 7) 10th-place Lakers.

Other moments in the season had been coined “”turning points.”” Shaq’s return and the comeback win against the Mavs had both been marked as single moments when people expected the Lakers’ season to turn around. The problem with that is that seasons don’t turn around in a single moment. Nor do they turn around in a single game, or even a single week.

Which is why Horry’s prediction may be more relevant than the other two moments. If it comes true, it will mean the Lakers will have something they’ve been searching for all season: sustained success.

As of Jan. 7, the Lakers had won four out of five games since Horry’s prediction. Their schedule is relatively easy through January. Shaq seems to be getting healthier, and role-players like Fisher, Fox and Horry are playing much better then they were earlier in the season.

Does any of this mean that Horry’s guarantee is a sure thing? Of course not.

The Lakers haven’t won three games in a row all year. Shaq is still not completely healthy, team defense is still a problem and their play is still flat at times.

And the three-time defending NBA champions still have to go 8-1 in their next nine games to realize Horry’s guarantee.

But I’m not betting against them.

I don’t know if the Lakers will do it, but chances are they’ll make the playoffs. They proved last year that they don’t need home-court to win a playoff series against anybody.

The real question here is this: Why have people been talking so much about the Lakers instead of the Mavs’ spectacular season thus far, or the Kings’ relatively quiet and steady reign at the top of the Western Conference standings?

The answer is that other teams, as well as fans and the media, know that the Lakers are champions. They have been the best team in the league for three-straight years and people know that the road to the championship will probably still go through them. That is, if they manage to make the playoffs.

If they don’t, there’s always the draft lottery. I heard there’s a high school kid named James who’s supposed to be pretty good.