Volleyball players earn recognition

The UCSD women’s volleyball team received recognition after four of its players were named to the All-California Collegiate Athletic Association teams for their performances in the 2002 season. Two sophomores — outside hitter Bonnie Wilson and setter Teresa Ohta — were named to the first team, while senior middle blocker Jennie Wilson and sophomore middle blocker Katie Hogan were named to the second team.

Courtesy of UCSD Athletics

Ohta followed up last year’s Pacific Region Freshman of the Year honors with an equally impressive campaign. She compiled 1,068 assists, averaging 12 per game, and was second in the CCAA in both categories. Ohta also finished seventh in the conference in digs, averaging 3.43 per game.

One of Ohta’s favorite targets all year has been dynamic newcomer Bonnie Wilson. Since transferring from the University of New Hampshire this season, Bonnie Wilson has been a focal point of UCSD’s offense. She finished fourth in the conference with 403 kills and tied for second on the team with 33 service aces. While she said the award is nice, Wilson said that being named to the All-CCAA team is not something she aimed for.

“”I personally don’t go into a season saying, ‘I want to win this,'”” she said. “”You hope at the end that all of your work will pay off and people will recognize you as a good player.””

Courtesy of UCSD Athletics

Bonnie Wilson’s older sister, Jennie Wilson, also had a strong year. The senior’s all-around game allowed her to lead the Tritons in service aces, as well as be among the team’s top three in kills and blocks. Without her teammates, though, Jennie Wilson knows her success would not have been so great.

“”Playing with such good players just makes you better,”” she said. “”When you see someone else doing so well, it just pushes you to that next level.””

Joining Jennie Wilson on the All-CCAA second team, is middle-blocker Hogan, UCSD’s leader in blocks. Hogan notched 92 blocks on the season while ranking sixth in the conference with a .320 attacking percentage. Despite her strong play, Hogan insists she was surprised at the honor.

“”I didn’t expect anything like that,”” she said. “”It makes me that much more excited about next season because it gives me something to build off of. It’s something to try to reach again next year and the year after.””

Just as each of the players will look to improve on this season, UCSD will look to come back next year even stronger. But for now, the players have some time to sit back and appreciate the recognition that they’ve earned.

$2515
    $5000