Shelton to be 2003 elections manager

A.S. Commissioner of Athletics Robin Shelton is expected to be voted the A.S. elections manager to oversee the 2003 A.S. Council elections in April, pending a confirmation vote by the A.S. Council.

The elections manager chairs the elections committee, which will oversee the A.S. Council elections in April 2003 and settles disputes between candidates. The committee is made up of a representative from each of the six colleges and one from the A.S. Council.

The vote, which was supposed to have occurred at the Dec. 4 A.S. Council meeting, was postponed at Shelton’s request.

Shelton, who ran unopposed as an independent candidate last year, said he asked to have the vote deferred until the beginning of winter quarter so that he will be free of any potential conflicts of interest that he might have. Specifically, he cited his intentions to give slates and individuals “”what they need to know”” about his current position and to “”keep athletics as a protected interest.””

“”One of few things you have to do is be neutral, and I just can’t do that at this point,”” Shelton said.

Shelton said that slates had already begun to form as early as the fourth week of fall quarter this year, and slate representatives have been approaching him seeking candidate recommendations for his position as commissioner of athletics.

As for the upcoming elections, Shelton said that as elections manager, he hopes to increase the integrity of the elections for students.

“”I think [the elections] will be a little dirty, but my main goal and main hope is to try and restore some integrity to the elections process just from last year, which was such a mess,”” he said.

$2515
    $5000