UCSD wins regional residence halls awards

Resident advisers at UCSD were awarded the Program of the Year award at the 2002 Pacific Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls Conference, held at California State University, Chico last month.

The award was given not for the overall residential life program, but for a specific event held last May called the Rezzies, according to Jeremy Gallagher, a Sixth College RA and A.S. commissioner of services and enterprises.

The PACURH conference includes all colleges and universities from the West Coast, as well as those from Hawaii, Alaska and Australia, according to a press release written by Theresa Vogel, chair of the UCSD chapter of the National Residence Hall Honorary.

The Rezzies is an award ceremony that mimics the Academy Awards and honors those who contribute to UCSD’s residential life programs, according to Vogel. The Rezzies was first created in 1999 by former NRHH representative Oliver Butterick.

Vogel said UCSD has not submitted a bid for such an award for the past six years. As the winner of this year’s Program of the Year award, UCSD will go on to compete at the National Association of College and University Residence Halls conference. The NACURH summit will be held on May 21 through 25 at North Carolina State University.

The Rezzies is a very elaborate ceremony, Vogel said.

“”The Price Center is transformed into this elaborated decorated place,”” Vogel said. “”Last year, there were even two fountains present at the ceremony.””

Gallagher said such effort is what makes the Rezzies program worthy of the award.

“”I would say that it is appropriate that this program received this honor because it reflects the time and effort put into it by residential life employees,”” Gallagher said.

Gallagher went on to say that most of the RAs at UCSD are highly motivated and qualified individuals. He also noted that it was ironic to receive this award so close to the firing of several Earl Warren College RAs.

“”I do not feel that it was handled fairly or appropriately in any way,”” Gallagher said.

Residential life officials at UCSD could not be reached for comment.

$2515
    $5000