hiatus calendar

Thursday 11/14/02

They’re only one of the biggest bands in rock ‘n’ roll history. No, I’m not talking about *NSync. The Rolling Stones are coming to San Diego! The band that likes to call themselves the “”World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band”” has cemented their position in the music world with hits like “”(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”” and “”Get off My Cloud.”” Now you can see them in concert at the San Diego Sports Arena. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets range from $53 to $303 (yikes!). For more information call (619) 224-4171.

The Grammy-nominated Danish psychobilly band Nekromantix, known for their matching haircuts, coffin-shaped bass and punkish monster movie music, will play at the Belly Up Tavern. They haven’t achieved commercial success, but that’s for wimps anyway. The band has released six critically acclaimed albums (two of which are available in the United States) and has toured extensively all over the world. Check out their sound when their show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $8.

Friday 11/15/02

Wit and humor await you at the Spreckles Theater in Downtown San Diego when Janeane Garofolo performs her hilarious stand-up comedy. One of today’s most widely recognized comediennes — largely due to her appearance on various television shows and several movies, including “”The Truth About Cats and Dogs”” and “”Reality Bites”” — Garofolo’s cynicism and wit are trademarks in her unique brand of comedy. Her act starts at 8 p.m. and tickets range from $21.50 to $34.50, so you’d better not miss it.

Local punk band Dragon brought home the award for Best Rock Album with their latest endeavor, “”Rock and Roll Kamikaze,”” at the San Diego Music Awards. And now is your chance to see what all the buzz is all about. With songs full of sweet melodies and catchy vocals, you won’t be able to avoid falling in love with them. Also playing are the Cedrics, The Go Devils and The Satisfaction. Show starts at 8 p.m. at The Casbah. For tickets and information call (619) 232-4355.

Grossmont College’s Third Annual Music Showcase will feature an impressive lineup of musicians and bands, including Rocket From the Crypt, Sprung Monkey, The Classified, 3 Below, Trite, Straight no Chaser and many more. For all of you punk and indie music fans, this is a must-see show! Where else could you see so many great bands in one place and for such a great price? Don’t miss out. The show starts at 5:30 p.m. and general admission tickets are $15. For more info call (619) 644-7471 or visit

http://www.grossmont.net/asgc/music-showcase.htm.

Saturday 11/16/02

Get ready for a great concert at The Casbah tonight when Alien Crime Syndicate, Rochelle Rochelle, Counterfit and Watch it Burn play. The club that has seen many acts in its past, such as Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana, has an extensive music history and is sure to deliver another great concert … so you’d better be there (if you’re over 21, that is). For tickets and information call (619) 232-4355.

What do you get when you combine rock ‘n’ roll and traditional Celtic music? The amazing Young Dubliners, who will be playing at the Belly Up Tavern tonight at 9:15 p.m. The Santa Monica band has become famous for their excellent live concerts and draws influence from bands such as U2 and The Pogues. See their infectious performance and find out why they have such a great following. Tickets are $15.

Sunday 11/17/02

Gifts, food, candles, culture. Yes, Hanukkah is fast approaching, and to get you all in the spirit, the Gallery Alexander is putting on its seventh annual “”Festival of Lights”” menorah show. The show will feature an exhibit of menorahs, dreidels, plates and many other pieces of art from Judaic artists, old and new. The show runs until Dec. 13. For information call (858) 459-9433.

What can be better than seeing a great dance concert and giving to charity? Doing them both at the same time! And you’ll have your chance when you see I Am the World Trade Center play at the Che Cafe. The electric duo will dish out their clever lyrics alongside their special electro-pop, disco-infused music. The show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5.

Monday 11/18/02

How lucky are we? One of indie rock’s most celebrated artists is coming to San Diego. Lou Barlow, who has played in bands such as Dinosaur Jr., Sebadoh and Folk Implosion, will bring his delicious music to The Casbah at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are a mere $10.

Tuesday 11/19/02

Just ’cause they’re from Sweden doesn’t mean they’re not a great band. The Soundtrack of Our Lives will bring their eclectic music to The Casbah. From hard rock to sweet ballads, they’ll give you everything you could possibly want. Be there when the show starts at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $12.

Wednesday 11/20/02

In case you missed them at FallFest, here’s your second chance to see the hip-hop quintet Jurassic 5. The group that mixes turntables with hip-hop always delivers great performances and leaves many to wonder why they are not more commercially popular. But who needs loads of dough when you have adoring fans, right? To see what all the hype is about, see them when they go on stage at 9 p.m. at the Belly Up Tavern. Tickets are $25.

$2515
    $5000