Students, staff race for money

The seventh annual Chancellor’s Challenge 5K Run/Walk for Scholars raised over $190,000 for UCSD undergraduate scholarships and filled RIMAC Field with more than 900 participants on Oct. 18, in what organizers believe was the largest turnout ever for the event.

Scott Thomas

“”We do believe that this is the most people we’ve ever had,”” said Brian Daly, director of development for student affairs.

Before the race commenced, Chancellor Robert C. Dynes spoke to the crowd and reiterated his challenge to the UCSD student body.

“”If any of you are feeling particularly fast today, every student who beats me can get $25 out of my pocket for student scholarships,”” Dynes said.

Scott Thomas

Dynes also stipulated that any woman who beat his wife, professor Frances Dynes-Hellman, would also earn another $25 from her toward the undergraduate scholarships.

Nick Hamlin broke the first-place record of 15:41, previously held by James Niels at 15:27. Elizabeth Frame was the first woman to cross the line with a time of 18:19, finishing 27th overall.

Dynes’ time of 21:46 was eclipsed by 140 runners, and the chancellor himself beat his previous personal record of 22:09. Hellman finished the 5K course in 24:15. All told, the Dynes household contributed approximately $4,600, according to Daly.

Another wager the event advertises annually is the competition between Dynes and the current A.S. Council president. If the A.S. Council president beats the chancellor, Dynes must furnish a barbeque for the undergraduate student body. If the president loses to Dynes, he or she must wash Dynes’ car.

This year, A.S. Council President Jenn Brown competed in the race, but did not receive an official time. Brown said she did not want her time to be officially recorded. She said that she does not remember her time.

Brown, did not, however beat the chancellor.

“”I will be washing the chancellor’s car,”” Brown said.

The event itself grossed $205,460 with earnings from registration combined with private and corporate donations. After expenses, a net sum of $190,460 will go directly to UCSD undergraduate scholarships.

“”This might be the best event the university does,”” Daly said. “”The costs are so low, I think only around 7 percent of the earnings are needed to cover the expenses.””

The low cost of this year’s event was in large part due to the generous donation made by Papa John’s Pizza, which donated a pizza lunch for all of the participants and volunteers.

The UCSD Bookstore donated all the prizes for the race. The prizes ranged from T-shirts and sweatshirts to silver and gold medals for the winners of each of the five categories.

“”There are five categories: faculty, staff, seniors, students and teens. Faculty, staff and students also have separate divisions for male and female as well,”” said Kyra Randall, program representative for development of student affairs.

Most students were aware of the philanthropic nature of the race. One student came out because he received one such undergraduate scholarship.

“”I’ve gotten money in scholarships,”” said Brandon Katz, an Earl Warren college freshman.

“”It’s only fair that I try to contribute back.””

Chancellor’s Challenge 5K Run/Walk results

Top three times

1. Nick Hamlin 15:27*

2. Henry Lesperance 15:39

3. Michael Gieskes 15:50

Fastest female time

27. Elizabeth Frame 18:19

Of note

141. Robert Dynes 21:46

261. Frances Dynes Hellman 24:15

639. Joseph Watson 37:24

Jenn Brown (no official time)

*Hamlin’s time is new event record

$2515
    $5000